Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Brett Favre Game

I don't recall if I have ever explained this game or not. Bubs reminded me about it, and offered that it would be a good pre-game warm up for catching home run balls. Here is a refresher. Krum and I invented this game back around 1994 or 1995. I was up visiting Krum at his place that he shared with Brown and Little Buddy in Minnesota. They were having a house party that evening. Krum and I went in to the basement and tapped the keg of "Blue Bull" at around 3 in the afternoon. We each had a cup and then Krum picked up a football that was laying around. We started throwing the ball back and forth. Then we decided if you dropped the ball you had to take a drink of beer. You can easily see how this degenerated into Krum and I whipping the ball as hard as we can at each other. But then we made the rule that if it was an uncatchable pass, the thrower had to drink.
I brought this game home and have played it a number of times while tailgating. The official distance between participants it two parking stalls. Yes, as you can imagine it can get quite brutal. However, my favorite version of the game is when you switch to using your non-throwing hand. Unless you are quite the athlete, it is pretty hard to not only throw a decent pass, let alone look coordinated.
Here is your lyric of the day:
Wendy let me in I wanna be your friend.
I want to guard your dreams and visions.
Just wrap your legs 'round these velvet rims.
And strap your hands across my engines.
Together we could break this trap.
We'll run till we drop, baby we'll never go back.
Will you walk with me out on the wire.
'Cause baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider.
But I gotta find out how it feels.
I want to know if love is wild...girl.
I want to know if love is real.

1 comment:

Bubs said...

Great game. I think I've thrown my arm out every time I played it.