Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Torch Party

As I was talking to my college roommate, Bob, at the Shorewood bike race, I mentioned to him how it reminded me of the Torch Party. This would have to have been the summer of the 96 Olympics in Atlanta. You may remember that they took the Olympic Tourch on a run all around and across America. It was a Friday night and the torch was coming through Milwaukee, specifically going right down Brady Street. Bob and I went down to check it out. As Bob reminded me, we didn't even have a place to go to watch. I think our plan was to watch from the sidewalk. I do recall that I brought a 6 Pack of Mickey's Big Mouths with me. Bob said that we got down to Brady Street and I pretty much invited ourselves into a house along the route that had a balcony that overlooked the street. We were at the party for about 30 - 45 minutes and then the moment came. The torch made the turn onto Brady Street. At the time the torch first came into sight, I was playing a video game with someone who lived in the house. I ran over to the balcony. Soon the torch went right by where we were standing. And then it was gone. So much build up to watch someone run down the street with a torch in their hand. I remember as it passed I said "That's it?" Then I went back to playing video games. I don't recall how the remainder of the night went, but I am pretty sure that I wore out our welcome at this party not too long after the torch passed and I ran out of beer.

Lyric of the Day:
Only in dreams,
We see what it means.
Reach out our hands.
Hold onto hers.
But when we wake,
It's all been erased.
And so it seems,
Only in dreams.

No comments: