Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Weekend Recap

I hope that all enjoyed their Memorial Day weekend. My was pretty eventful. I took Friday off of work, because lets face it, I could use the break. Thursday night I went to see Iron Man 2. I will get a review in later.
Friday I started the day out by placing sod in my yard. As mentioned a couple weeks back, I decided to rip the bushes out of my front yard. I finished up Friday night by watching the Brewer game out on the patio, with a couple beers. Here is a photo of my set up in the backyard for the game.Friday night was also a bit of a trial run for the 9 inning challenge. Just to remind you, the 9 inning challenge is eating one hot dog and drinking one beer for each inning of a baseball game. I didn't have 9 beers Friday night, but I did finish 7. I think the 9 inning challenge will happen on either Friday, June 11th or Saturday, June 12th. Any takers?
Saturday I started the day out with a bike ride with Preston around Pewaukee Lake. In the afternoon I made a trip out to Sun Prairie to help The General put together a swing set for his sons and my godchild. I showed up and The General was a bit less than prepared. I mean, seriously look at the hammer he is using.I showed up and The General had about half of the project completed. I took one look at the directions and immediately started changing how certain things got put together. As I was finishing up The General admitted to me that at first he was quite concerned when I took things over, mainly because I didn't consult the directions all that often. But as you can see in the photo, everything turned out just fine.I have since received a phone call from The General. There are stakes that go with the swing set and should be pounded into the ground to stabilize the swing set. I told The General that they weren't necessary especially since the only hammer we had to pound them in was featured in the picture above. The General's wife, Diane, has since expressed concern about the stakes not being used. I have a degree in engineering, and I am a registered and licensed Professional Engineer, the stakes are not needed. If this swing set is to flip over, it will be because of the wind.
Sunday I again relaxed in the backyard watching the Brewer game before heading over to my friend, Mick's, for a party.Mick told me that I didn't need to bring anything. But you know me, I can't show up empty handed. So what do I bring.....water balloons. Who does that? Justus was at the party for a little bit, and then Preston showed up shortly after Justus left. Here is a feat that I accomplished this weekend that I thought I could never do. Over the course of the weekend I played two handed sheepshead with each of the following: The General, Justus and Preston. Well the water balloons were a big hit, but in the early evening I had to leave and head downtown. I was headed down to the Pabst Theater for The Doors in concert. Well 1/2 of The Doors, Ray Manzarek and Robbie Kreiger. Here is the Pabst Theater as I walked to the show.A look up at City Hall.I got great seats for the show because I am on the Pabst Theater's email list. But I think there is something seriously wrong with me. I was in the 4th row when the concert started. Yet half way through the concert I still moved up to the 2nd row. Is this like a disease? It was worth it, by the end of the show, I was slapping high fives with the lead singer. They let you take pictures, but you couldn't use your flash so nearly all of my pictures didn't turn out. But here is a decent one of Robby Krieger.Here is some illegal video that I shot. One of the security guards tried to get the battery out of my camera for shooting video, but I told them no and to go get the manager. They never returned. Here is some Peace Frog.

And here is the beginning of Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar).

In preparation for the show, I was listening to a lot of Doors music at work in the week leading up to the show. They were ahead of their time. In the late 60's and early 70's when everyone was putting out songs that were barely 3 minutes long, some of The Doors biggest hits were songs that were 8 or 9 or 10 minutes long. They broke the mold. Taking the place of Jim Morrison was Brett Scallions who used to be the lead singer for the band "Fuel". I give him a ton of credit. The stinky boots of Jim Morrison would be hard for anyone to fill. I mean come on, he was the Lizard King. Brett was in a lose, lose situation. If he is too crazy, well than he is taking the role too far, and if he isn't crazy enough he is doing a disservice to Morrison. I thought he performed as well as could be expected. I haven't been able to find the set list. The only disappointments I had were the exclusions of "The End" and "The Soft Parade" not being included in the set.
I finished up the Memorial Day weekend by grilling out with some shrimp and fresh pineapple ka-bobs on the grill with a root beer float.

Lyric of the Day:

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on, He took a face from the ancient gallery, And he walked on down the hall.

2 comments:

Bubs said...

High-Low, Red-Black while playing drug dealer did me in buddy.

Borky said...

buddy...only Morrison can sing "The End" buddy. You know that.

Pretty kickass though. I would have loved it.

-borky