Thursday, November 27, 2008

Krum the Ironman

Normally my blog doesn't stray too far from talking about anyone but myself. I do want to take some time to shed some light on to someone other than myself. This past weekend, Krum participated in the Arizona Ironman Triathlon. I have done a couple of triathlons, but nothing like this. This ironman, consisted of a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 mile run. The winner of this race finished in 8 hours and 14 minutes. Krum finished in 10 hours and 9 minutes. His time was good enough to finish in 33rd place in his age group and 169th overall out of over 2000 participants. Krum averaged 21 miles per hour on the bike and ran at a 8:33 minute mile pace. I find those number just staggering. Let me help put those numbers into perspective. I don't think it is too far of a stretch to say that I am in pretty good physical condition. And this past summer I competed in a couple of much smaller triathlons. My best was managing a 19 mile an hour pace on the bike, and that was for only 15 miles. But I did manage a 7:42 minute mile pace for the 3 mile run. I know that I wouldn't even come close to that pace or Krum's pace for 26 miles. So Krum congratulations, you are a far better man than I will ever be.

No comments: