Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Soccer Update

Last night was another soccer game. The last two games had a much lower scoring output than I had been hoping for. But last night I picked it up a little bit. After only having just one assist in the first half, I turned it up in the second half. Mid way through, I stole the ball from one of the other teams defenders, and went in at the goalie from the left side. I kept dribbling right at the goalie and because he never came off his line, I just went right at him. Then from point blank range, I actually miss hit the ball, but still managed to push it past the keeper into the side net far bar. On my next shift, I was bringing the ball up the right side. I sort of got forced by the defender to the corner. At that point, I figured I would just rip a shot anyhow. The ball skipped twice and then went between the keepers legs and into the back of the net. My last goal of the night was just a bullet that I ripped from the top of the arc into the lower right hand corner. It skipped off the post and on into the goal. That was my best shot of the night. Unfortunately I missed another two or three golden opportunities to continue to lengthen my lead on The General. For those that don't know, The General and I have a bet (dinner) to see who can score the most points. Goals are worth 2 points, assists worth 1. At press time, after 4 games, I have 7 goals and 2 assists for 16 points. The General has 2 goals and 2 assists for 6 points. Next week we have an early game at 8:00 p.m. Our normal goalie, Wes, isn't going to make it, so The General will be between the pipes, which effectively means that any points I score next week do not count. That is sort of bad news for The General, because that means he only has the last 3 games to make up 10 points. I suppose I can start making dinner reservations at Crawdaddy's as that is where The General is going to have to pay up on this bet.
As far as the team goes, we are on top of the league with a record of 4-0. We have 43 goals scored while only giving up goals against. I still don't think we have played the greatest. But as is often the case in soccer, you can get stuck playing to the ability of the opponent.

No comments: