Friday, May 22, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

Just a quick post to all my loyal blog readers. It is Friday afternoon and I am crawling the walls to get out of the office. Enjoy your long weekend, but while you are grilling out, or watching the kids play soccer, or whatever your weekend plans are, take a moment to remember why you are celebrating Memorial Day, and what this day means. Think about the sacrifice of life many have laid down for you to enjoy your freedom. And think about those who are currently defending our freedom.

On a quick side note, I don't recall if I told this story or not. When I got my first internship when I was in college, I was informed that I would get paid for all holidays. I had only been on the job for a week or two when Memorial Day rolled around. It was the first time I got a paid holiday and what did I do? I got completely drunk. All day I was telling my friends, I am getting paid to drink. I thought it was the greatest thing in the world. When the 4th of July came around, I did the same thing. Of course that was the year of my rollerblading accident. As my summer internship drew to a close at the end of summer, I recall begging my boss to keep me on through Labor Day. But he didn't go for it.

Tree is in town this weekend, so I would imagine that I will be with Tree a good share of the weekend. But I will find time this weekend for my annual ritual of watching "Saving Private Ryan", or at least the opening 40 minutes of the movie when the US forces storm the beaches of France. Have a great extended 3 day weekend.

No comments: