Thursday, May 21, 2009

Wisconsin Roads

I was doing some research for a report I was doing at work that required some safety statistics. While I was going through them I made note of the ones I found interesting. All these statistics are from the year 2007.
Fatality Crashes.
There were a total of 737 deaths on Wisconsin highways in 2007.
The deadliest month: July, 84 fatalities.
The least deadliest month: February, 42 fatalities.
The deadliest day: Saturday, 153 fatalities.
The least deadliest day: Monday and Wednesday, 42 fatalities.
The deadliest time of day: 2-3 AM, 54 fatalities.
The least deadliest time of day: 4-5AM, 10 fatalities.
At the following days and times, no deaths occurred: Tuesdays between 3-5 AM, Wednesdays between 4-5 AM and 8-9 AM, Fridays between 9-10 AM, and Saturdays between 6-7 AM.
The most deadly times to be on the road, Sundays between 2-3 AM, 19 fatalities. Saturdays between 2-3 AM, 16 fatalities.
The age groups that had the most fatalities: 25-34 117 fatalities, 45-54 110 fatalities and 35-44 92 fatalities.

What do all of these numbers mean? From looking at the data as a whole, obviously crashes are more likely to occur during morning and evening rush hours. However, fatal crashes are most likely to happen at bar time. I think it is pretty save to assume the majority of those bar time crashes were alcohol related.

It is kind of ironic that I was looking these numbers up today, since on the way to work I heard a radio commercial that mentioned the goal of zero deaths on Wisconsin roadways.

In closing, please be careful out there.

No comments: