Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Points and Observations From Memorial Day Weekend

The Brewers aren't that bad and the Twin aren't that good.

I am still incredibly immature. Saturday afternoon I met with The General at the Picnic Basket for lunch. While waiting for our food, we started playing Ms. Pacman. Our food came, we ate, and then went right back to playing Ms. Pacman. Another 10 minutes after the waitress, who was still in high school, had cleared our dishes and dropped off our bill, we were still playing. That is when she said to us "Do you guys need more quarters?" So sad.

A plan is finally in place for trying to fix my back. Sunday morning I met with Tree and his wife, Dr. Heather Havlik. I didn't know this before, but apparently Heather's speciality is with the spine and back. I brought my MRI images and she looked them over and said that I really did a number on my back. But Heather gave me a course of action to try and get myself fixed. She prescribed some some steroids to try and also called in for a refill on the drugs I had been using that had me feeling fairly decent. If the the steroids don't help, then I will be looking to get cortisone injections sometime near the end of June. If the problems still persists, then this coming winter when I am back on my company's insurance I will have surgery to fix the problem. And the main problem is that the disk between to of my vertebrate in my lower back, has become somewhat crushed and is pushing out back onto my sciatic nerve which is causing me my pain. After I got done talking to Heather I went into another room, and while I was gone, Tree and Heather's daughter, Kaitlyn, asked Heather if I was going to die, as she had over heard our conversation. I was also told that these steroids won't make me any bigger or stronger, but I am doing extra pushups in the morning just in case.

Sunday afternoon I stopped by my brother's to fix a hole in my truck tire for a screw that I drove over. But it wasn't as bad as I thought and there wasn't much to fix. But on my way to my brother's, I called up JFK who lives in the area. JFK is Krum's dad. He recently built a new garage and has an area set aside for ping pong. I always love a good game of ping pong. But when I called up JFK on Sunday he said he was busy. As I was running errands Monday morning, JFK called me back and told me to stop by on my way to my parent's house. I did and we got in a very competitive game. We played best of 7. JFK took me down in the first 3 games, and I had to perform an Miracle on Ice like rally to take the last 4 games. Hard to believe that it took me 7 games to take care of JFK, who is in his 60's. By the end of our match I was dripping with sweat, it was quite the workout.

Monday morning, I made a trip to Home Depot and build my own set of life size Jenga. Sure to be a hit at any tailgate party.

Monday afternoon the whole family got together at my parent's house for dinner. I ate too much but everything was so good. Steak sandwiches and pizza brats. We got in something of a baseball game with all of the nieces and nephews. And I was able to finish the day with a trip to the ATM, I.E. playing sheepshead.

I also did my Memorial Day tradition of watching Saving Private Ryan. I watched it Sunday night, and I had the 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound just blasting. I am sure my neighbor really thought there was a war going on in my house because I had it pretty loud to try and get the effect of the movie. Every time I watch the beginning scene with the storming of the beaches at Omaha, I marvel at the courage and intestinal fortitude that our soldiers had, to not only perform, but accomplish such an impossible task. However, in the Art of War, by Sun Tzu it states if you "Throw your soldiers into positions whence there is no escape, and they will prefer death to flight. If they will face death, there is nothing they may not achieve. Officers and men alike will put forth their uttermost strength". In the movie they show Captain Jon Miller emerging from the water which has now changed to red from all of the blood. After a mortar goes off, Captain Miller grabs his helmet which he has lost and places it a top of his head with the bloody salt water running down his face. I can't imagine how bad that would not only sting the eyes, but taste as it runs across your lips. I doubt that is an experience anyone could forget.

I just want to thank a few people for the great weekend. First and foremost, Heather, for the free medical advice and for prescribing me with a new set of drugs. Frabel for hosting cards Saturday night. Jon for buying dinner Sunday night. JFK for a great ping pong match. And my parents for a great meal Monday night.

1 comment:

Borky said...

"The Brewers aren't that bad and the Twins aren't that good."

ha ha. thanks for the free drink at Summerfest.