Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Big Bang Theory

A good portion of my family reads my blog, both immediate and extended. And usually the biggest day of the year for, at least my mom's side of the family, is the 4th of July. (Relax Mrs. Burac, I said usually.) The first reason why this day is so special is because it is my grandfather's birthday. In fact, the family celebration is still held on the land that was once part of his farm. The second of course is that that is the day that we Americans celebrate the birth of our fine nation. For the past, I don't know how many years, I have been the pyrotechnic expert of the family. That is fireworks, or as I like to call them, kid burners, after the Zachary incident of 2004. I think I can say that the shows have been continuing to become bigger and better, and yes if you can believe it, safer, every year. Last year's show, I was able to even impress myself. In the past, there have been relatives that have attended the celebration and left before the firework show because they had to work the next day, or they had some other excuse. But this year there are no excuses. The 4th falls on a Saturday, and because no one in the family is a priest, I sincerely doubt that anyone has to work the following day. Since last year's show I have been doing a fair amount of shooting my mouth off (not a big surprise) that this year's show would be better than last years. Well earlier this week I made a trip to the fireworks store, Kid Burners R 'US. And I must admit I went a little overboard. But there is no doubt in my mind that this year will easily top last year. I have even put together a 30 minute soundtrack that will get everyone in the patriotic mood. I hope everyone likes Elvis.


I am getting excited about it already. After the last boat ride of the day, my nephews greet me to ask me when the show will start. I announce 15 minutes and everyone scrabbles to move their vehicles. The sky quickly but imperceptibly changes from baby blue to deep black in mere minutes. Someone starts up the fire pit for both ambiance and to keep the mosquitoes away. Your skin seems to lightly sting all over from just maybe too much sun and not enough sun screen. The air is heavy with humidity but no one is too concerned as there are plenty of beverages to keep you cool. The cards get put away and everyone counts their quarters to see how much they lost to me in Sheepshead. The kids all start lining up their chairs along the driveway. Then an uncle or one of my brother's yells at me to hurry up and get the show on the road. With Elvis filling the air the first shell's fuse is lit. There is that unmistakable sizzle, as the flame chases down the tube, pauses and then with a dull thud sends the shell into the air to amuse both young and old alike. And the show begins.


I know my aunt and uncle read the blog from time to time. This is my official RSVP, I am bringing one guest, Borky. And my dish to pass will be fireworks (kid burners).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Borky is going to be unbearable! Bragging rights for baseball go to Twinland. I'll bet football season will be much different assuming they sign "The Ultmate Ass-clown!" Dano

Rickie Davies said...

Don't worry about Borky, he isn't that way. The Brewers are his second favorite team. He and the rest of the Twins fans are jealous of our outdoor stadium. He also knows that Lambeau is better than anything he will ever see in his lifetime in Minnesota. It isn't that he is a Favre fan, he just isn't a Sage or Tarvaris fan.

Anonymous said...

I'll make one of my famous Minnesotan hot-dishes to share, how does that sound? You betcha!

-borky

Anonymous said...

You identify, people always make comments when anything is predicted to come to pass in 2012, like “fairly that is if the age is hush here.” You do achieve that the Mayans predict the faction will end on Dec. 21 (or 23rd)? So in all distinct possibility if anything is going to turn up in 2012 there is solitary the slimmest conceivability that the world hand down contain ended forward of it happens.
[url=http://2012earth.net
]2012 end of world
[/url] - some truth about 2012