Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Long Walk Home

I try to get in a bike ride as often as I can. Last night I decided to drive up to Fond du Lac and ride the bike trail along the 151 Bypass. The main reason for this, was because back in the day when I worked for the DOT, I worked on that project. And in laid out the majority of the bike trail along the bypass. So this was something I worked on and designed, and I had always been wanting to take a ride on it. The trail is about 8 miles long. I parked at the park and ride lot a the north end of the trail. I jumped on my bike and clipped along the bike trail and a good pace enjoying the work that I had done. The trial must be at least 5 or 6 years old and still rode very well. I hit the end and turned around. I was about 2 miles into my return trip and noticed that my bike wasn't performing too well. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the front tire had lost all of it's air rather suddenly. 6:45 in the evening and my bike is toast. I ditched my bike in some tall grass along the path and started the walk of shame. The 5.2 mile walk of shame. I did run the last mile or two. But I didn't get back to my truck until shortly after 8:00 in the evening. So that was fun.

But more fun is on the horizon. Today at noon, or hopefully at noon I am leaving my project for the week and headed for the Mississippi, the mighty Mississippi, the old Miss, the old Man, Deeeeeep Riiiiiiiveeeeeer. (Chevy Chase). The annual camping trip is upon us, or me. You can expect some filtered stories and pictures come next week.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

sorry to hear about the flat tire...have a great time this weekend--can't wait to hear all about it!

Bubs said...

And if it's ten, fifteen minutes by jeep I'm guessing that it would have to be at least an hour by foot, is that right?

Pick up and me did it in 45 flat.

Rickie Davies said...

Hal??? Hal?

"Private, Answer the Lieutenant’s question?"