Thursday, September 24, 2009

Work Work Work

Before I continue on with this post I would like to make an announcement of a milestone that my blog has reached. My blog started a little over 4 years ago, on Sunday August 21, 2005. Last week I made my 1,000 post. That seems pretty crazy. To me it is even more crazy that people still visit my blog on a fairly regular basis. Just this past weekend, I learned that my friend, Schoen is another loyal reader.
Alright now on to today's blog. It is about the job I am working on. It is a 16 mile resurfacing job, with a bridge overlay, beam guard replacements and upgrades, new signing and cross culvert pipes. Yesterday we (and when I say "we", I mean the contractor) replaced a culvert pipe. These culvert pipes are getting replaced due to the fact that they are either sagging in the middle or just rusting through. Up until this point no real major problems had been encountered. But on this pipe, which was the last one to be replaced, we ran into some substandard soils to place the pipe on.
I am sure you are wondering, well what do you do when you run into something like this. I am glad you asked. In this case, breaker run is placed beneath the pipe. And what is breaker run, it is defined as "Stone or concrete processed through a primary crusher set to produce a material predominantly 6 inches or less in at least one dimension from a department approved source." In this picture you can see the breaker run underneath the pipe as they install them.
So maybe you actually learned something today. But I doubt it.

No comments: