Monday, September 14, 2009

You Too

Yes, this past weekend was the U2 concert in Chicago. As they always have been, the band was great. Like I said in a previous posting, it has been 14 years since I have been to a concert at Soldier Field. Things have changed quite a bit. For one, the parking lot was way different. Instead of just one big flat parking lot, there are a bunch of medians and grass areas throughout. And the lot didn't fill up very fast at all. But we did get in our share of tailgating. Here I am getting ready for the show.
I went to the show with Doug, Liquid and Lynn. But Joe and Dawn were in town because Dawn was running the Chicago half marathon the next day. They came and met us in the parking lot. Here is a group photo, I am sending out the vibe. This is a picture of the stage. It was by far the most unique and over the top set up I have seen for any concert. It looks like something out of War of the Worlds, which is one horrible movie.These are just a really nice set of legs I noticed as we were walking around before the concert started.
Here is the setlist:
1. Breathe
2. No Line On The Horizon
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Magnificent
5. Beautiful Day / Blackbird (Beatles cover, snippet)
6. Elevation
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Stand By Me (Ben E. King cover, snippet)
8. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
9. Unknown Caller
10. The Unforgettable Fire
11. City Of Blinding Lights
12. Vertigo
13. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday / Oliver's Army (Elvis Costello cover, snippet)
15. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
16. MLK
17. Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)
18. Where The Streets Have No Name
19. One
20. Bad / Fool To Cry (snippet) / 40 (snippet)
Encores:
21. Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
22. With Or Or Without You
23. Moment of Surrender I didn't take too many pictures in the concert because they all look the same, as these three do.

I don't take my good camera into concerts anymore, just in case I get it taken away. So I use my old camera which doesn't have a very big memory stick. And this is the only video I shot. If you are even a mild U2 fan, I am guessing there is a good chance that you have seen their movie, "Rattle and Hum". One of the best images of the movie, is when they open the show at ASU with "Where the Streets Have No Name", and as the opening of the song hits the crescendo the lights turn on and light up the entire stadium. Very cool. As far as I can remember every U2 show I have seen, they have every light on the stage light up at that same point. So here is the video of it.
Sadly they they didn't do it this time.
As mentioned, I thought it was a great show, but don't take my word for it. Here is proof that it was a great show. At first I thought she lost a contact in the grass. But that wasn't the case.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

why no tribute to Sept. 11?

Anonymous said...

at least they didn't play the same song twice again.

-borky

Anonymous said...

This was your week 1 Packer prediction.

Week 1. Home against the Bears. Culter has no one to throw the ball to and gets picked three times, one for a TD. Packers win. (1-0)

Nice work buddy

General

julie said...

I wish we could have gone again this time with you. I did appreciate the live feed of "Stuck in a Moment" when you called the house Saturday night. I think we were able to hear almost the entire song.