Wednesday, September 09, 2009

The Not So Amazing Race

Sunday was the "Not So Amazing Race" in Madison. My friends, Joe and mostly Dawn, set up this race. It is like the show, but only in Madison. It was a lot of fun. I think there were around 20 teams. I was on a team with Jay, Shelly and their friend, Micheal Mueller from Germany. It started at a park on Lake Wingra in Madison. At each stop a clue was given out. So like I said it started at Lake Wingra, then we had to paddle across the lake to the zoo, where we had to get one of those souvenir stamped pennies. Then paddle back across the lake. From the next clue took us to Mickey's Dairy bar, to find out how much a PB & J and a milkshake cost in 1950, the answer by the way, $0.55. Next we went to picnic point, where we had to run all the way out to the point, that was a 2 mile run. By the way, from my team, I got nominated to do both the canoe and the run. It was the first time I ran since the Blarney Run. Probably not the best idea in the world. From there we went to the union for a clue on the picnic chair. The next clue sent us to Bascom Hill for a picture with the Abraham Lincoln Statue. Then we headed to the capital where we had to find a beer stand at the "Taste of Madison". Then we went into the Capitol Building where we had to find the step with the fossilized star fish, count how many windows were around the press room door, and the room number of the state library. Then we were off to Minona Terrace to find a paver that had Dawn's grandparents name on it. From there we were off to the Deli/Ice Cream parlor with the Merry Go Round. Then off to Dexter's Pub, for a shot, and finally off to Sun Prairie where the picnic at the end was. It was a lot of fun. A little stressful and way too much exercise. I am going to make sure I put Joe and Dawn through some punishment at the Freeman Party next year. The race was very cool. We didn't win, but it worked out great because Jay's friend, Micheal Mueller was only in Madison for a day and got to see just about all of it over the course of a couple hours. I would like to thank Dawn for all of the hard work she put into the race. I hope she does it again next year. I would also like to thank my original partner, The General, for backing out at the last minute. If it had been the two of us that were a team we would have came in last place for sure, since neither of us know Madison very well. Here are some of the photos.
The starting line with all of the canoes lined up.Jota was captain of our ship.Mickeys Dairy Bar 1950 menu.Here is a statue outside of Camp Randall that we needed to take a picture in front of.Bascom hill, this is already a finalist for the Christmas Card Photo.The starfish in the Capitol.The Merry-Go-Round
Again, I just want to thank Dawn once again, it must have taken her hours to organize all of this, and she did a great job. Once the soreness goes away in my legs and back, I will start to look forward to next years race. Maybe a Cannonball run. I have always wanted to do one of those.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks rickie! i love the pics!!! nice work :)

Anonymous said...

not surprised the general backed out....