Sunday, August 27, 2006

Weekend Update

Friday night I went to my friend, Bob's, wedding reception. Bob got married a couple months ago in Las Vegas and had the reception here in Wisconsin on this night. The two most memorial moments for me were:

#1. Bob's speech. It has been something of a tradition that I sing at my friends' weddings. And I really didn't have anything planned, but there are a number of people insisting that I sing. I attempted to get the microphone from the DJ but he wasn't going for that. So Bob went up to the DJ to get the microphone and finally got it. But once Bob got the microphone he started in on a speech thanking everyone. It was probably the best speech I have ever heard a groom give at a wedding. It had just the right amount of compassion, sincerity, laughter and vulgarity. Plus it was all off the top of his head. Bob, if you are reading this, awesome speech. And by the time that Bob had finished I knew I wasn't going to sing, because there was no way I was going to follow that speech.

On a side note, what is the deal with wedding DJ's. I have been to a streak of weddings where the DJ's have been just absolute clowns. They seem to be control freaks, won't let you use the mircophone, and don't seem to deal with requests all that well. For any wedding DJ's out there reading this, relax. And if you want to feel important, get a real job.

Moment #2. Shortly after getting to the reception, I was talking to Bob congratulating him, and I offered to buy him a wedding shot at the bar to help get things going in the right direction. Bob declined but said maybe later. An hour and a half later, I was walking towards the bar to get a beer and Bob and Stu were talking at the bar. Bob said, "Hey, let's do that shot. I will buy." I said sure and Bob ordered 3 shots. Just as the bartender finished pouring the shots, The General comes walking up. "Hey Bob, what about me? Do I get one?" So Bob asks the bartender to pour one more shot. After pouring the fourth shot, Preston and Tyler come walking up to the bar. "What are you guys doing? Bob, don't we get shots?" Bob tells the bartender we are going to need two more. This iteration continues on with more people coming up to the bar and Bob ordering more shots a couple of times. When the number of shots on the bar reached around 12, Bob had a bit of a worried look on this face and he asked the bartender how much shots were anyhow. Turns out that they were $4 a piece. This semi shocking bit of information does not stop the orders for shots from continuing to grow. When all was said and done, 25 shots of Jack Daniels lined the bar. Some quick math will tell you that that is $100. I threw out a $20, then a couple other people started throwing $5s, $10s and $20s Bob's way. I am not sure, but Bob might have made more on buying shots, than the dollar dance. Here are some pictures from the night.

The group known as the "Creeps". And look at Stu nearly getting a handful of me. I am smiling for the picture, not because Stu is grabbing my butt.

Joe and Dawn.

Jessica and Bubs.

The General showing the hold that Diane uses to grab him when she wants him to do something. Stu is laughing because Mary has used that same hold on him as well.

Bob giving his speech. "I love you M'er - F'ers." Absolutely priceless.Mr. and Mrs. Rzepiejewski.

Roman coping a feel from the bride. Just kidding Doggie, thanks for breakfast.