Wednesday, November 14, 2007

American Gangster

When I was walking into the theater to purchase my ticket, I said "One for American Gangster." The guy next to me in line said, "That is a great movie, you are going to like it." How would he know what I would and would not like? But in actuality, he was right. I did like the movie. I am not a big fan of Russell Crowe. But both he and Denzel Washington were fantastic in this movie. I suppose that since they have both won Best Actor Oscar Awards, I would expect nothing less. This movie wasn't spectacular in my mind. But it was a very very good movie. It was actually worth the $6.25 I spent to see it. On to the jist of the movie. This is another movie based on a true story. The movie is about Frank Lucas, a black man living in Harlem who goes on to become New York City's biggest drug lord during the late 60's and early 70's. But the movie also shows the life of Richie Roberts, the cop who's job it was to try and put Frank Lucas behind bars. They did a great job of going back and forth between the two character's lives and then how they eventually intertwine. The movie moves along at great pace without any lulls. And it is entertaining throughout. I am always impressed with movies when they are done at a time in the past and they are able to get the cars, furniture, clothes, etc. from that time period. And with this movie they did a great job. On a scale of 1-10, this is all of an 8 maybe even a 9.

No comments: