Monday, November 12, 2007

New Favorite Holiday?

Thanksgiving is quickly moving up the charts to becoming one of my favorite holidays. I don't think anything will pass the Fourth of July. But Thanksgiving is getting close. Why do I like Thanksgiving so much? Thanksgiving Eve. It is quickly becoming one of the most popular nights out at the bars. In my book I would rather go out on Thanksgiving Eve than New Years Eve.

The weather. It isn't all that horrible....yet.

My parents are no longer doing the full scale deer cutting operation. Which means I don't have to work that entire weekend. Or rather, I don't have to work 10 hour days that entire weekend. I honestly don't mind taking care of 9 or 10 deer a day, as long as I have help.

It is always a four day weekend. How can you not like a holiday that gets four days.

The shopping deals. I am kidding. No matter how great the deals are, I think you are moron if you go shopping the day after Thanksgiving.

The food. Turkey is OK. As long as there is gravy to go along with it, I don't have a problem eating turkey. Anyhow the food is always great for the Thanksgiving meal.

Natesgiving (the day after Thanksgiving). I have heard that it is again off this year, but that it should make it's return next year. This is a great opportunity to get together with my friends and beat Nate in ping pong.

Sheepshead. My friends all suck and I have a better chance of playing football for the Packers than I do of getting a card game together with my friends. However, there is usually enough family around Thanksgiving for a card game.

I think that is enough reasons. Just writing this is making me hungry for some turkey.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Without doubt Thanksgiving is tops.
The holiday revolves around food (MMMmmm food) and a four day weekend. Hard to beat.

I think its funny going out shopping the day after Thanksgiving. I guess that makes me a moron. But if you're not in any hurry, its hilarious to watch all the shoppers (and employees) get all impatient and snippy with each other. "Have a nice day".

Ahhhhhhhh

Anonymous said...

Who wouldn't love a Thanksgiving with your mother doing the cooking. She is the best!
This year we will be in Texas with Rob and the family. You were with us the last time we had Thanksgiving in Texas. No swimming pool to jump in this time. It closed the end of October.
Annie

Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving is the best:

Turkey on Thursday
Old-Fashioneds
Cards with the Family
4 day weekend
Turkey Sandwiches on Saturday
Turkey Tetrazini on Sunday

The Best Rickie...The Best!

FYI- Thanksgiving Eve is #3 for the bar business (Behind only New Year's Eve and St. Patrick's Day).

-Bubs