Friday, November 09, 2007

Into The Wild

I went to go and see "Into The Wild" yesterday. To be honest, the movie didn't start out too well. I made it through the previews and had my carry-ins ready to go when the movie started. But there wasn't any sound. I waited through the opening credits and then finally got up and left to find someone who worked at the theater to fix the problem. So I missed the first 5 or so minutes. But on to the movie itself. It is based on the true story of the life of Christopher McCandless. We pick up his life in 1990 just after college graduation, at which point he decides to go on the adventure of a lifetime. He tells no one he is leaving, nor does he make any attempt to communicate with anyone in this family while gone, and travels the western part of the United States including such adventures as kayaking down the Colorado River all the way to Mexico. Along the way, he gets a number of odd jobs to earn money. His adventure eventually leads him all the way to Alaska. This kid was a bit of a loner and definitely a non-conformist. The majority of the reasoning behind this adventure is rebellion against his parents who are upperclass, strict and disfunctional, with whom he has no urge to even communicate with. You can look at Chris in one of two ways, he is an idealist who wants to live off the land and be free. Or that is just and vagrant and a bum. There are many great nature shots, including a number with wildlife. I was interested in the movie as Eddie Vedder wrote a number of songs for the movie. But none of those songs really jumped out at me. Much of the dialog is about find oneself and the true meaning of living, so it is sort of like reading Krum's blog. In the end, I think it is far from a great story, but still a good movie. But I can't give it more than a 6. Rodge, you were the one who wanted me to review this movie. If you do go and check it out, the main character, Chris, reminds me alot of Ryan's friend, Gavin. At least in the way, that everywhere he went, he met people right away and always seemed to find some sort of odd job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anyone who sees this movie should read the book by John Krakauer. The book is fantastic. I could not put it down.