Monday, November 19, 2007

Badger Gopher Game

It was a great weekend up in Minnesota. I hate that 5 hour drive from Appleton to Minnesota, so I took a flight. It was great. No stress. It took half the time, I read a book. My back didn't get sore from sitting in my truck all day. It was a wise decision and worth the price of the ticket. Friday night I stayed with Borky. We grilled out, played some beer pong and then went to a bar that had a Van Morrison cover band. Here I am with K-Mart and Borky at the bar. I think it was called Whiskey Junction. We were watching the band and we noticed the bouncer who was at the door when we paid our cover charge. I told him I loved his Jonny Cash shirt and that I would be taking that shirt home with me at the end of the night. So when we saw him later, Borky got a picture with him. And I again told him that that shirt was going to be mine. You can see his reaction to my statement. Surprisingly I did not end up with the shirt. I don't think it would have fit anyhow.
Here is the Van Morrison band. They were pretty good. Towards the end of their last set I got into a shouting match with the lead singer over why they wouldn't play Tupelo Honey. And they never did play it, that was the only dissapointing part of their performance. How can you cover Van Morrison and not play Tupleo Honey?
Me and Borky.Saturday morning we grilled out in Borky's garage and then headed down to the Gopher game and the Humpy Dome. Lisa, Joe, Doug, Me, Dawn and Borky. Flo was taking the picture.
Here is Borky sporting his football helmet from his pee-wee football playing days.
Joe and I got into some serious ping pong before we left for the Badger Game. Joe and I are pretty even and I can say that the ping pong might have been the best part of the weekend for me. Joe, I want a rematch soon. By the way I won 4-2 in matches. Just so you didn't think Joe beat me too bad.
Joe and I told Borky that everytime the Gophers scored that we would do push ups for every point. We honestly didn't think we would have to do any push ups. But we knocked out over 100 over the course of the game.
Here are my push ups. After the game some lady came up to Joe and I and said, "You were the two guys doing push ups, that was great." In the 4th quarter alot of the fair weather Gopher fans had left when the Badgers were up by 2 touchdowns. So it was pretty easy to see us doing push ups from everywhere around our section.Just one of the many Badger touchdowns on the day. I would say that the crowd was right around 50% Badger fans.
Bucky bringing Paul Bunyan's Axe back one once again.
We went out to the bars downtown after the game. I was embarrassed for the Gopher fans. Everywhere you looked and every bar that you went into was packed with Red and White. In fact you barely saw any Gopher fans afterwards. I was telling Joe how weird I thought that was. I mean could you ever imagine a time being in Madison and walking into the Big Ten Pub after a home Badger game and seeing it full of another teams color? It will never happen. And that is all there was in Minneapolis. Maybe it will change once the Gophers get their new stadium. But I still think Bucky will make their presence known. Anyhow here I am at the bar with my friend, Flo.
Here is Krum and K.O.
Trooper and Krum. I told them to pretend that I just scored a hat trick and this is their reaction. Trooper and Krum know all about my soccer abilties and their expressions pretty much sum my abilities up.

It was a great weekend and a lot of fun. I want to thank Borky and Krum for letting me crash at their places. Although Krum's floor was far from comfortable. And I want to thank all of my Minnesota friends for meeting up with me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are welcome buddy. It was one of the best weekends I can remember for a while. Great times. I think the push-up's were the best. No one cared at first and then when we started winning and scoring more points, everyone in our section couldn't wait to see you 2 do the push-ups. But in the end you did prevail, and the sea of red pumped a lot of $$ into our taxes to pay for our baseball stadium, where we actually have a winning team. On Wisconsin.

Borky

Anonymous said...

Wisconsin fans are everywhere!! At a local bar out here (Californina) there are usually at least 30 Packer fans cheering on the green and gold. It's in our blood

Sugar Lips

Anonymous said...

Bucky sucks.


Kmart

Anonymous said...

What is a Flo? Is that Rickie's new girl friend? Details! Details!