Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Preakness Follow Up

From the baltimoresun.com
"The infield, filled to its 60,000 capacity by 10:30 a.m., was the usual scene of youthful debauchery. Guys wrestled in the mud. Girls were exhorted to shed clothing. Sheets of plastic were turned into makeshift sliding devices. And full beer cans flew through the air for no discernible reason.v A few people climbed to the roofs of the portable toilets to reprise last year's infamous "Running of the Urinals." But with the toilets spaced apart this year, they didn't get very far.
From the roof of the grandstand, Pimlico staff and city police and fire officials monitored the infield with binoculars and used radios to direct security to fights or other disturbances. By the end of the day, 126 people had been ejected. It takes some effort to be tossed from the Preakness. Police walked under flying beer cans and through a haze of marijuana smoke without batting an eye.
Police made six arrests, said police spokesman Troy Harris. Two of the arrests were for assault, three for failure to obey police orders and one for disorderly conduct. Pimlico staff made 17 calls for medical assistance to the infield, though no major injuries were reported."

Here are some links to YouTube videos: Here is my warning, these videos are a bit disturbing.
Running of the Urinals
Beer smashing
Beer Can War

After what I saw, I find it incredibly hard to believe that "no major injuries were reported".

It was an experience to see, but I don't think I will be going back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When did you turn into such an old man?

Rickie Davies said...

Wait a second here. You are calling me an old man because I find throwing full cans of beer into a crowd highly immature and extremely dangerous.
If that is how you feel, I find you to be a total idiot.
I am quite certain I wouldn't have acted that way when I was in my 20's.
Don't get me wrong I was highly immature on this trip. We stuffed 5 grown men into the back of a cab. I threw up twice. And popped my shoulder out trying to throw a football as hard as I could at Shooter.