Monday, July 27, 2009

Camping on the Mississippi

The camping trip is less than 2 months away. A couple a weeks ago when I was down in Chicago with Nate, Eric, Borky, Doug and Tim, the core members of the Mississippi camping trip, the decision was made for the date of this year's camping trip. It will be the third weekend of September. September 18th, 19th and 20th. I invite all male loyal blog readers to join in the festivities. Sorry ladies, but this is a guys only weekend.

Here is the island from the water. I like to call it a little slice of paradise.The weekend consists of drinking all day as we follow the shade of that one tree, seen in the background here. I like to dig a hole and stand in it, also seen here. I might bring a shovel this year.There is also plenty of Boone's Farm to go around. Between Borky and myself we have 10-12 bottles. And usually some vodka to make it a Sneaky Pete.We have an arsenal of potato guns to shoot at barges.If we can't hit the barges with a potato we try with a golf ball.A couple years ago, I was in my Mr. Fitness stage and I swam across the river. But when I got to the other side, I experienced some lower intestinal pressure that needed to be released. So I did that on the other island. It has since become a ritual that I swim the river and take a dump on the other side.
The nights are filled with setting fire to any hornet nets that may be found in our shade tree.Saturday night is the highlight of the trip. We cook up some steaks over the fire. Every year we say we are going to start the dinner early, but we never do. We always end up eating around 9:30 at night, but it is well worth the wait.After dinner we get a little crazy with the fireworks.The Ring of Fire has been known to happen.As everyone is packing up Sunday morning to head home, a game of Foot in the Cooler sometimes breaks out. Last year Borky won.

This is a rain or shine trip. We have endured scorching heat, sideways rain and one year hurricane force winds that did not relent all weekend, so you might want to bring a kite. You can simply inform me that you are coming my leaving a comment on my blog. I will make sure that all parties are aware of your intention to attend.

No comments: