Thursday, July 16, 2009

Festa Italiana

Back in my college days, which if you do the math, is over 12 years ago, I lived on the East side. That was a time when I had an abundance of time and energy. It was quite the trip, but I would rollerblade from my place down to the Summerfest grounds to watch the Festa Italiana Fireworks. Not all that surprisingly, I couldn't get anyone to come along with me. The Festa Italiana Fireworks, at least back then, were great, dare I say every bit as good as the Big Bang, but with far less people to deal with.

I can recall one night when I went down to see the fireworks, I found a spot just north of the Summerfest grounds to watch the fireworks. It seemed like they were going off right above me. During the grand finale, I was lying on the grass and looking up, and they were so loud and so close that I could feel my chest shaking. It was amazing and I was just lying there by myself and laughing out loud.

Tonight starts Festa and they have nightly fireworks at 10:15 p.m. I am planning on biking down to the lake front from my house. If anyone is interested in meeting up with me down there, I will have my cell phone with me (414) 397-1457. If it is worthwhile tonight, I might head down tomorrow night too, since I don't have anything planned for Friday night.

No comments: