Monday, July 13, 2009

Weekend Update

These first pictures are from last Tuesday. I went to my nephew Jared's baseball game. I really don't have much to say about it. But it was pretty brutal to sit through. On to my weekend. Friday was action packed and then the rest of the weekend was very mellow. Friday night biked down to Miller Park and tailgated with Tom Brady, Pocahontas and the Lakey boys. It was around the 2nd inning when they went into the game. I talked with the scalpers. I wasn't planning on buying a ticket unless I got a great deal. I had them down to $20 for a club level seat. But I had been planning on going down to the Discovery World to see the outdoor showing of the Big Lewbowski. So I didn't buy the ticket, and took my bike downtown. Here are Tom Brady, Pocahontas and the Lakey boys before going into the game.Now one of the other things on my radar for Friday night was Tom Jones at the Riverside. Tom Jones has been to Milwaukee a couple times and I have never seen him in concert. On my way down to Discovery World, I went past the Riverside to see if there were any tickets to be scalped. I talked to one scalper, he said he had a 5th row seat. I said let me see the ticket. I look at it and say "This is 5th row second level." He said he would give it to me for face value, $55. I laughed at him. He said, "Well how much do you have?" I didn't even know how much money I had on me. I opened up my wallet and I only had $27. He said "I will give it to you for $47, there is a tyme machine right over there." I said, I will wait to see if I can get one cheaper. I have been to a number of these shows where the performer is older, Neil Diamond, Gordon Lightfoot, and they like to get on stage right on time. It was only a couple minutes after 8:00 and the sidewalk was deserted of people. That same scalper came back to me and said, "O.K. $35." I just laughed at him. I explained that I am his best bet at getting rid of that ticket. He walked away. 5 minutes later he came back and said "Alright $27." I paid the man, locked up my bike and I was in the show. It was actually a pretty good seat. I learned from the guy 2 seats over from me, that he sold the ticket, that I now had, for $50 to the scalper. It is niced to know that I was able to rip the scalper off. Tom came on stage right after I sat down. He looked pretty good other than his white hair. And he sounded great. His voice was still very rich and booming. Not at all what I expected. I thought the keyboards and guitar were a little too loud, but other than that, the sound was great. I had always heard that women throw their underwear up on stage at a Tom Jones concert. And I am sure that happened in the 70's but in 2009? Well as you can see from the picture below, they still do.I was able to get some illegal video of the concert, here are segments of "What's New Pussycat?"