Friday, July 24, 2009

Dave Matthews Night Two

Night two of Dave Matthews wasn't quite as crazy as night one, at least as far as tailgating goes. It was only The General and myself tailgating. We happened to be parked next to a car load of "kids" in the 18 - 20 years old category. The General and I were just minding our own business, having a couple of drinks and playing cribbage then 2 handed sheepshead. Then this girl, Elisha, who was with the group next to us, asked us if we wanted to play "Ring Of Fire". We said sure and she explained to us, which sounded a lot like she made up the rules as the game went on. Once the first game was over, things quickly degenerated into everyone doing beer bongs. Elisha said that she had only done one beer bong before in her life. When The General and I left to meet my friend, Sunny, in one of the other parking lots, Elisha had just finished her fourth beer bong and had thrown up 2 times. She was a pretty big puddle and I really don't think she made it into the concert. Here is Elisha before she became a puddle.We met up with Sunny for about a half an hour then headed into the show. We found some decent seats in the reserve section and were there for about the first third of the concert. Then The General wanted to move closer. I told him not to push our luck with our "upgrade" tickets. But like an idiot, The General walked down to about the third row, acted like he had no idea where we were going, and he got his "upgrade" ticket taken away. Nice work. Such a rookie. Once kicked out of the reserved seats area, we got back in and I found us some just OK seats about 50 rows back. Here is the setlist:
Proudest Monkey
Satellite
Squirm
Pig (One of my favorite songs, and the one song I really wanted to hear)
Shake Me Like A Monkey
You Never Know
Crash Into Me
The Dreaming Tree
You and Me (A new song that is really growing on me)
Funny The Way It Is
Grave Digger
Alligator Pie
Out Of My Hands (A pretty deep cut, they played it last year, and I thought there is no way they would play it again this year, but they did. In my opinion, the best slow song they have)
#41 (They extended this song out to about 20 minutes, best version I have ever heard)
Rhyme and Reason
Dive In
Jimi Thing
Time Bomb (Of all the new songs, this is the one I wanted to hear live)
Two Step (another song that they extended on for about 20 minutes, also the best version I have ever heard of this song)
That was the end of the 1st set. They could have just walked off stage and not come back and it would have been one of the best concerts I have been to.
Last year at the Sunday show, they ended with covering a Sly and the Family Stone song, "Thank You For Letting Me Be Myself Again". During the time between the final song of the first set and the encore, the crowd started singing this song. It was pretty cool, it started on the left hand side of the stage and grew in volume until the entire place was singing. Then the band walked back out on stage and started in with that song. I see that song being a encore staple for the Sunday show every year from here on out. After that song, they finished with Halloween. Saturday was a great concert, and Sunday was by far much much better.
As far as our friend, Elisha, by the time we got back to my truck, that group was long gone.
Here is some video of the end of "Time Bomb" live.

No comments: