Thursday, July 23, 2009

Dave Matthews Night One

Dave Matthews is just a great weekend. I was suppose to meet The General at my brother's house. I was playing wiffleball before hand and was 20 minutes late. And because I was late, The General, who didn't know how to get to Alpine Valley from my brother's house, decided to meet me there. I am still confused on his thought process. I was late so he decided to drive somewhere but didn't know how to get there. It makes no sense to me, but then again, The General has never struck me as the smartest of my friends. Through some phone tag, I met The General at this gas station in Eagle Springs. We left his car there and then headed to the show. Once in the Alpine Parking lot, we met up with Doug, Liquid, Eric, Anna and Myra. Tailgating at Alpine is always a great time. The General and I had reserve seats, but really didn't sit in them, we moved around a couple times before we found a spot about 30 rows back. Here is the view from our first seats.
And here is a shot from our final seats. I thought Saturday's show was great. Here is the set list:
Funny The Way It Is (We missed this song)
You Might Die Trying (We were finally in the reserve seats by the time this song ended)
Spaceman
Corn Bread
Seven
Dancing Nancies
Shake Me Like A Monkey
Smooth Rider
Lying In The Hands Of God
Crush
The Stone (Not my favorite song, but was the highlight of the show)
Alligator Pie (Not a favorite of the studio version, but is great live)
So Damn Lucky
Why I Am
Louisiana Bayou
Grey Street
Encore: Pantala Naga Pampa - Rapunzel and Ants Marching
After the show is actually where things got interesting for me. The General and I hung out in the parking lot for a while after the show. Mainly because I didn't want to fight the traffic getting out of there and two to give me a little more time to sober up. We tailgated pretty hard, and then I only had one beer during the show. I will openly admit that I should not have been driving, but The General was in a hurry to get back home to his wife and kid. I drove to the Gas Station where we left The General's car. He left, and I went to sleep in my truck. I was out cold and had planned to just drive home in the morning. But that didn't happen. I awoke an hour later to a knock on my window. It was a Waukesha County cop. He went through a couple of questions. Cop: "What are you going here?"
Me: "Sleeping."
Cop: "Where were you this evening?"
Me: "Alpine."
Cop: "Have you been drinking?"
Me: "Yes."
Cop: "When was your last drink?"
Me: "9:00"
Cop: "Do you know the people who own this gas station?"
Me: "Nope."
Cop: "Are you aware that you are trespassing?"
Me: "Nope."
Cop: "Would you mind stepping out of the vehicle?"
Thankfully, I was smart enough to take the keys out of the ignition.
I got out of my truck and he informed me that he wanted to give me a breath-a-lizer.
Me: "I don't want to take a breath-a-lizer."
Cop: "You have two choices here. Take the breath-a-lizer and see if you are fit to drive or I can arrest you for trespassing."
Me: "If I take this breath-a-lizer you can't nail me for drunk driving or driving while intoxicated, you can't get me for anything other than trespassing?"
Cop: "That is correct."
I ended up blowing a .10.
Cop: "Do you have any one who can come and pick you up?"
Me: "Give me a minute to make some phone calls."
I called my brother, Jeff, because he was the closest. He didn't answer. I got a hold of my brother, Dan, and he said he was on his way. I went back into my truck and went back to sleep. All the while the cop sat and waited for my brother to show up. I woke up about an hour later with the cop again knocking on my window to tell me that my ride was here. I jumped in Dan's car and he gave me a ride to my brother, Jon's house, where I was staying for the weekend while they were out of town. So it got a little exciting at the end of the night. And yes I was rather lucky.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A run-in with a cop is much worse than losing Eric and Anna's DMB tickets on the walk in to Alpine.
Lisa

Rickie Davies said...

Their real tickets or the fake ones?

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately.. their real ones. They left Alpine and went home. :-(

Rickie Davies said...

That is some excellent work.

Anonymous said...

Holy shit, are you serious. Eric really "lost" her tickets.

Great work buddy.