Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Clown Code of Conduct

Annie,

I found the code of conduct. Allow me to address each of these points.

1. I will keep my acts, performance and behavior in good taste while I am in costume and makeup. I will remember at all times that I have been accepted as a member of the clown club only to provide others, principally children, with clean clown comedy entertainment. I will remember that a good clown entertains others by making fun of himself or herself and not at the expense or embarrassment of others. I CAN MAKE NO PROMISES ABOUT GOOD TASTE WHILE NOT IN THE PRESENCE OF CHILDREN.

2. I will learn to apply my makeup in a professional manner. I will provide my own costume. I will carry out my appearance and assignment for the entertainment of others and not for personal gain or personal publicity when performing for either the International club or alley events. I will always try to remain anonymous while in makeup and costume as a clown, though there may be circumstances when it is not reasonably possible to do so. I AM ALREADY PLANNING ON HAVING SOMEONE ELSE APPLY MY MAKE-UP. AND IT IS TOO LATE TO REMAIN ANONYMOUS.

3. I will neither drink alcoholic beverages nor smoke while in makeup or clown costume. Also, I will not drink alcoholic beverages prior to any clown appearances. I will conduct myself as a gentleman/lady, never interfering with other acts, events, spectators, or individuals. I will not become involved in or tolerate sexual harassment or discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or any protected status. I SEE NOTHING IN THIS STATEMENT THAT I WILL BE ABLE TO FOLLOW. I PLAN ON DRINKING QUITE A BIT.

4. I will remove my makeup and change into my street clothes as soon as possible following my appearance, so that I cannot be associated with any incident that may be detrimental to the good name of clowning. I will conduct myself as a gentleman/lady at all times. ALL OF THIS IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY AS WELL.

5. While on appearance in makeup and costume, I will carry out the directives of the producer or his designated deputies. I will abide by all performance rules without complaint in public. I WILL CARRY MYSELF OUT AS I SEE FIT. THAT IS UNTIL SOMEONE STARTS PAYING ME.

6. I will do my very best to maintain the best clown standards of makeup, costuming, properties, and comedy. I DOUBT I WILL MAINTAIN MANY STANDARDS.

7. I will appear in as many clown shows as I possibly can. YOU WILL BE LUCKY TO GET TWO SHOWS OUT OF ME THIS WEEKEND. AND THEN THE COSTUME IS GOING AWAY FOR A WHILE.

8. I will be committed to providing an atmosphere free of discrimination and harassment for clowns of all ages to share ideas and learn about the art of clowning. NO COMMENT.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say none of my clowns have even changed the rules as honestly as you just did.
Annie