Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Locked Out Again

I think I am a pretty smart person. In fact I actually have a couple of pieces of paper on the wall that say I am smart. But in actuality, I am an idiot. Last night I was cleaning up my garage from my latest remodel job, so that I could park my truck inside. All was well until this morning. I walked to my garage and went to the keypad on the garage door. I punched in the code and nothing happened. I punched it in again, this time pushing harder on the buttons because that always makes it work. Despite how hard I pushed the buttons, nothing happened. My problem solving skills came to the conclusion that the battery in the keypad was dead. So what is the next step? I went back inside to look for my spare garage door opener. I couldn't find it anywhere, and there is a chance that it is somewhere in my truck. I still haven't found it. OK, no garage door opener, what next? Find the key to the side door of the garage. I installed this door a number of years ago, but I didn't put the key on my key ring because I never locked my garage, that was up until the time my neighbor had his garage broken into earlier this year. So I searched in every junk drawer I had in my house. I found a number of keys that I actually have no idea what they open, but I do know this, none of them open the side door to my garage. I still have keys from my old truck, keys not only to entry to the bridge house of my bridge in Appleton, but also the keys to run the bridge. I also have some keys to an old project trailer.Alright, what is the next step? I took the dead battery out of the keypad and walked down to the corner drug store to get a replacement battery. I find the battery section but they don't have any batteries that look like the one I pulled out of the keypad. Let's walk down to the grocery store to see if they have that battery. Well they had a battery that looked like the one I pulled out, but you know what, it wasn't the same battery. Even though it was a little bigger than the old battery I still jammed it in the battery spot. But that didn't work either.Great, now what do I do? I called up Preston, one of my most loyal blog readers. "Buddy can you give me a ride to find a battery for my garage?" "Sure buddy, no problem I will be over in 20 minutes." We took a drive to Batteries Plus, and finally got the correct battery which solved the problem and I was able to get along with my day. But the first order of business was to stop at Home Depot and purchase a new door handle for the garage door.

My plan for this evening is to label and locate each key with it's respective lock, and then make sure it is impossible to be locked out of anything in my house. I used to have a key strapped to the bottom of my truck in case I ever locked myself out. But I haven't done that with my new truck.

"If we do not learn from out mistakes, we are destined to repeat them."

No comments: