Monday, October 26, 2009

The Weekend That Was

Well let me tell you about all that was the exciting weekend of Rickie Davies. Friday, I worked on my garage again. I think most blog readers have either been in or at least seen pictures of my garage. Yes it is a bit over the top. But I got bored this last week and I ended up ordering more disco lights and the such for it. This forced me to do some rewiring which I actually enjoyed. But to do so I had to take the cabinets and the boards off the wall. And while I had the cabinets down, I decided to paint them with florescent paint so that they would show up a little more under the black lights. I also decided to paint the garage door with fluorescent paint. Yes I know, this is way more than any "normal" person would do in their garage, but it has been stated more than once, that I am not normal. I am expecting the new lights to come in this week. I would venture a guess that by the end of the week I will have everything done and back in place, at which time I am planning on shooting some video and posting it here. Trust me, you will be both impressed yet unsurprised. So I worked on that a little bit on Friday night, then I had a facebook / high school reunion to attend. It is a little weird because these reunions are organized about once every two or three months, but the person organizing it was a senior when I was a freshman. I have tried to invite people from my class, but they don't show, probably because I am the one inviting them. Anyhow I show up and only vaguely know a couple of people. I spent the majority of the time at the bar talking to this guy, Dave, who used to play hockey for Michigan State and then played in Europe for a couple years. He did have some pretty good stories.
Saturday I should have been up early to do some yard work, but that didn't happen. I procrastinated most of the morning away and then headed off to see my nephew, Zack, play football. It was a pretty good game, but at his age there isn't alot of passing. Sitting there watching them play, I thought about being their age again and how we seemed to play alot of pick up football games. I really missed it. Although I have noticed that today not too many kids seem to just play pick up games of any sport. They are always at a practice or a game, and they rarely just play in the yard with their friends. I think that is really too bad. Even going back about 5-10 years ago, my friends and I used to play pick basketball once a week. We even played the day of 9-11. I remember that because one guy had to leave early because his girlfriend was upset. But as people slowing started getting married those games came to an end. I remember one night we were playing and my friend, Basketball Dave, had to leave early because his fiance wanted to pick out a chair. One of the worst excuses I have ever heard. In the fall we would play football on Saturday mornings. Pick up football in the fall, not much better than that. Play for an hour or two then go to a bar and watch the Badgers. Oh well, nothing to do but lament over those days.
So after Zack's game, I went to watch Dead Meat bowl, that is the bowling team made up of my aunt and uncle, and my sister and brother in law.
Sunday morning I finally got around to the yard work and raked all of the leaves, but I know that I will have to do that again next week because not all of the leaves are down. For the Packer game I was at Club Paragon where we played some Sheepshead. I didn't fair so well, I suppose picking on the end with just a Jack of Clubs as my only trump wasn't a very good idea, but I almost won.
I ended the night at my brother, Dan's, as it was his wife, Jody's, birthday party. I was told dinner was at 4:30, but when I walked in the door at 4:45 everyone was done eating. Apparently the time got changed, always the last to know. But it wasn't a big deal. I ended the night with a couple of games of pool against Dan, who historically speaking had a record of 235-1 against me, and the one was because I called that we had to bank the 8 ball. But on this night I lowered his record to 240-2!!!! Straight up I beat him. And all but one of the games were close. I told him he needs to get back in the bars. So that was the weekend. I will have to tease you with pictures to come in the following days.

Oh and I almost forgot, the Halloween costume is coming along wonderfully. I ordered pretty much everything on line last week. And things have been slowing arriving in the mail. The clown shoes I ordered a great. Wait until you see them. I have a number of props, in fact I broke a couple out with the boys while we were playing cards. Sorry, Roman, but you are an easy mark. I have some magic tricks. I even impressed my group of friend's resident magician, The General.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see pictures of your costume!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick, Sorry we've been at Tony's so I'm really out of the loop. So you're going as a clown... did you remember that I'm a county fair clown judge? I can show you how to make balloon animals if you want. Can't wait to see your costume. Do you want the offical clown code of conduct?
Annie

Rickie Davies said...

K.O., I will get those pictures up as soon as I can.

Annie, I had no idea that you were a judge. I know that Jon is quite the balloon animal maker. I would love to get a copy of the offical clown code of conduct. I will look on line. I have a felling I may bend some of those rules.