Friday, April 13, 2007

Running Out of Gas

Back in my college years, we had a group of people that were all going out. At the end of the night I decided that I would get a ride back to my parents house with Justus. Also along for the ride were, Tree, Momma and Tyler. I think on the way home we stopped at Denny s for some breakfast and then the first one to get dropped off was Tree. As we were leaving Waukesha I mentioned to Justus that maybe he should stop and get some gas. To which Justus replied, "Don't worry, I know my car, we have plenty of gas." We dropped off Tree and were on our way to Delafield when sure enough the car stops. Justus looks at me and says "You aren't going to believe this, but we are out of gas." To which I answered, "Oh I believe it, I told you it was going to happen you moron." Justus and I get out and figure that it would be a shorter walk back to Tree's place than walking to a gas station. And of course Tree is our good friend and he will help us out. It was at least a 3 mile walk and I am guessing it was somewhere around 3 in the morning. On top of all of that, I had just hurt my foot playing soccer a couple nights earlier and was walking with a pretty good limp. I do have to admit, that while my foot was killing me and I was pretty mad at Justus for running out of gas, we actually had a pretty good time joking around as we walked back to Tree's place. Tree at that time was living with his sister and brother in law. We didn't want to make a lot of noise since it was the middle of the night so we knocked on Tree's window. We told him that we ran out of gas and that we needed a ride to the gas station. Tree seemed really pissed that we were there and told us to hang on a minute. Justus and I went back to the front of the house. We heard Tree going into the garage and there was a bunch of rumbling around going on. Finally Tree comes to the front door, opens it and throws an empty gas can at us and then shuts and locks the door. Justus and I looked at each other absolutely dumb founded that Tree was not going to help us. I was so dejected. I knew that Tree wasn't going to answer the door anymore and we were screwed. I also knew that I didn't want to walk another mile to the gas station. I just sat down in the driveway. I would bet that Justus and I sat in that driveway for at least a half an hour talking before we grabbed the empty gas can and started walking to the gas station. It was probably 4:30 in the morning by the time we got to the gas station. They didn't open until 5:00 in the morning. I knew that my brother, Jon, had to work early in the morning. I thought he had to start at 6 in the morning, but it wasn't actually until 7 in the morning. Jon finally picked us up and gave us a ride back to Justus' car. I think I got home at around 7 or 7:30 in the morning. And just as a last little side note. This whole time that Justus and I were walking all over Waukesha county, Momma and Tyler we waiting back in the car. We later found out that they occupied the time by having sex in the back seat. I know that Tree is a loyal reader here. And I never really got a true explanation as to why he didn't help us out. So Tree if you could, please expand on your actions. Just writing about this story makes me realize that I still owe Tree one. Your time will come my friend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to expand on this story.

I can't remember what we were doing that night, but I had repeatedly been telling Justus that he needed to get gas. In only a way that Justus can say it, he confidently replied, "I got it". Not the only time Justus had used that phrase when he was in peril.
I remeber once when we were playing basketball at the Klink's home in Hartland and the basketball went over this dense arborvitae hedge which stood 6 feet tall. Justus was still in his youthful teenage "invicible" stage and thought he could force his way through it. As you may have already figured, Preston, others and myself had tried to talk him out of it, with an arrogant smile his reply was, "I got it". Justus took 10 paces back and ran full speed into the hedge. He wasn't pushed back nor did he make it through this web-like structure. The hedge picked him up and slammed him on the ground like Randy "Macho Man" Savage. If you have ever been around Justus, you can imagine the this situation and the amount of laughter that followed his feeble attempt.
Back to why I was so perterbed by Justus when the two of you had arrived at my window at 3am. My sister had to wake up early that am and if she woke up at 3 am because of Justus running out of gas, well that would not have been too good for me. I was happy to hear that Tyler got a piece and your brother was able to save the day. As for Justus, gotta love em'. He is truly one of a kind.

Tree

Anonymous said...

That is one of the classics. Good posting Ricky...great commentary tree!

-Bubs