Monday, January 11, 2010

New Years Resolutions

Every year I make New Years Resolutions. I think that writing it down here on the blog helps to keep me somewhat accountable. Let's review past years.

2005. No more buffalo wings.

2006. I boycotted fast food. Especially McDonalds, Burger King and Taco Bell.

2007. I gave up candy, chips, soda and french fries.

2008. Stop swearing and work on my juggling skills.

2009. Introduce myself better to people I don't know. Limit my alcoholic drinks to 5 per day as well as not drinking until Las Vegas in March.

In review of my past resolutions, I have been pretty good. I have stopped and started on buffalo wings a number of times. I can't remember if I am back on or off of them right now.
Fast food I have done a great job on. This does not include Subway or Culvers which could arguably be fast food. But I haven't touched McDonalds, Burger King or Taco Bell but once since 2006.
The candy, chips, soda and french fries have entered my diet from time to time, but I am starting a new boycott of them starting with this new year.
I don't swear as much as I once did but I need to tighten that up this year.
My juggling skills are nearly non existent. I am going to try to get myself to juggle for 10 minutes everyday after work.
Introducing myself, I still am not very good at. I need to once again work at that.

So what do I have in store for myself in the year 2010.
First, is to continue on with the past resolutions listed above. I think doing all of those will be beneficial to my health and make me a better person.
Second, is to not eat after 7:00 in the evening, unless out with family and/or friends. I know, I sound like a Gremlin. But eating before going to bed is just empty calories that I don't need.
Third, this is one that Nate mentioned to me. No cheese, except for pizzas. For me to give up pizza would simply be just ridiculous. Hopefully I can do this, but it would require cutting out the most important ingredient in any Mexican dish.
And finally and this is a big one. I am not going to drink alcohol until Roman's bachelor party in May. Last year I made it until Eric's bachelor party at the end of February. Although I did have a beer in the airport before we left for Vegas. I know this sounds crazy but last week I got passed a huge hurtle in keeping this resolution. My old roommate, Truz, was back in town. On Tuesday night he gave me a call and said that he was going to stop by. Eric also stopped by. So we sat around and watched the Orange Bowl. They both had a couple beers but I didn't have a drop. So now the bar is set extremely high. If I don't drink with one of my best friends on the one night I see him for the year, well then the day that I do drink had better be more important than that. Otherwise it would just be an insult to Truz.

4 comments:

Bubs said...

2009 was fast food free for me too. 2010 will be the same.

Anonymous said...

Well..looks like I'm not doing that horrible 5 hour drive til Summerfest. Thanks buddy!

-borky

Anonymous said...

Why would you want to "stop swearing" and stop drinking? Are either really considered problems in your life.

If you don't swear and/or drink, really what fun will you be?

Anonymous said...

My unofficial new year's resolutions often include less drinking, spending less $, and less swearing. The less drinking takes care of itself as I get older, and also helps me spend less and swear less.
Lisa