Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Stop Swearing and Drinking

An anonymous person left a comment on my blog:
"Why would you want to "stop swearing" and stop drinking? Are either really considered problems in your life."

I think that swearing makes you seem less intelligent and less classy. I also believe that if a person rarely swears, that when the time comes that they do swear, what they are saying has much more meaning. For instance, if my mom said to me "What the "F" are you doing?" I would really stand at attention and take notice.
Swearing is also an exhibit of a lack of self control. I think I told this story once before, but it fits here so I will retell it. Back in college this came under debate with my roommate, Kevin. He told me that he swore a lot because that was part of his upbringing. The people around him growing up swore, so he did to. Kevin is a very smart individual. And at that time I told him it was merely a lack of self control that he swore. Kevin did not like the fact that I said he had no self control. And for a while there he made a conscious effort not to swear, and you know what, he then started not to swear too much. I would like to ask this anonymous person what is so great about swearing? Do you swear at work? Or in front of your boss? If not, isn't that something of a double standard?

As far as the drinking goes, no, I don't think I have a problem. It is just something I want to do to see how long I can go. Another reason is that drinking can be expensive. My current home improvement project is starting to get a little expensive. I was out at a bar this past weekend for my godwife, Nancy's, graduation party. I was there for a couple hours and didn't spend a cent. Had I been drinking I probably would have dropped at least $30.

I am also highly offended by this anonymous person's comment that "If you don't swear and/or drink, really what fun will you be?" Am I to understand from this person that I am only fun to be around when I am drinking and swearing. Wow, thanks. Anything else you don't like about me? The gloves are off, you might as well let loose. Do you want to talk about the weight I have been putting on? Or the fact that I am losing my hair? Come on take your best shot, I can take it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming to the party. For the record you were fun without drinking. I didn't realize that you weren't drinking. Annie