Friday, January 08, 2010

U.P. Skiing

The week of New Years I headed up to the U.P. of Michigan for some skiing. I left Monday after work and came home Friday morning. Tuesday Eric, Liquid, Doug and myself skied at the Porcupine Mountains. I skied there my first year of college, when my brother, Jon, and two of his friends went up there. I remembered that I liked skiing there, but it was really cold and the chair lifts were slow. While many other parts of my body are starting to go, my mind isn't because it was really cold and the one chair lift that they do have was really slow. But it was still some decent skiing. Wednesday and Thursday we skied at Indianhead. Of all of my trips to the U.P. Indianhead was the one place I had never skied. But it wasn't bad at all. Just cold. On Thursday, I spent most of the day with Nate as he was teaching his son, Elery, to ski. Elery is only 3 years old. Nate had had Elery on the Bunny hill most of Wednesday, but on Thursday we took him down the big hill. While we only did 3 runs with him, it was amazing how quickly he picked it up. I also have new respect for skiing instructors. Nate and I switched off taking him down the hill. Snow plowing to keep your speed down the entire length of the hill can really burn up your quads fast. At one point I was getting Elery to ski by himself in front of me and then I would give him a little push and send him down the hill to Nate about 30 feet away. We did this a couple of times. But on the last attempt Elery wasn't stand up straight so I couldn't push him away, and then we got too close to Nate for me to avoid Nate and all three us of went down. I guess it is only fitting that Elery's first real fall is because of me. I only have a couple of pictures that I took the first day at the Porkies.
Here is the view from the top of the hill.That out there is the big lake they call Gitche Gumme, i.e. Lake Superior.Eric, Doug and Liquid.
I would have liked to have taken more pictures, but the weather was just too cold to get my bare hand out to take pictures.

2 comments:

Bubs said...

The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead, when the skies of November turn gloomy.

Rickie Davies said...

The Canadian Troubadour