Sunday, January 07, 2007

Rental Cars

Today was just a repeat of yesterday. Nothing too exciting. I taped the second NFL game to watch later tonight. I figured if I went to the health club while the game was going on, it wouldn't be very busy. Wrong. I don't know what it is about Sundays but they always get me depressed. I think it is the fact that a full work week is looming around the corner. And spare me your comments about how hard I work. Any of you could have chosen the same career path as I did but didn't, so deal with it. Anyhow, I just didn't feel like working out at all. But I managed to push myself through most of my usual work out routine. And the plan is to now reward myself with some Famous Dave BBQ ribs and watch the taped second playoff game. Back to the point of this posting, when I got home from the health club, I had a message on my phone from my buddy, Russ, who lives out in Colorado. The message was broken up so I could make out all of it, but from what I gathered he is somewhere in a rental car and beating the crap out of it. I would like to go on the record and state that I feel it is wrong to make any illegal moving violations in a rental car or any car for that matter. However, I do have a checker past of beating the hell out of rental cars. And Russ' message triggered a couple of memories for me and I thought I would share the pictures with you.
Now this picture was taken somewhere in the middle of Iowa. I was driving a Ford Taurus. As you can see from the blown up image here. I am going around 105 miles per hour.
I don't know what kind of car this was, but this was on Interstate 5 in Oregon.As you can see I was going 105 in this car as well. Trust me that was as fast as both of these cars went. I am guessing the second one was a Taurus as well. But here is my pride and joy of my rental car beatings, at least the ones that I have photographic proof of. This was a reverse drop I did in the parking lot of my hotel. I actually did it the night before and took this picture the next day. I did this in Omaha, Nebraska. Now kids let me explain to you what exactly a reverse drop is and how to properly perform it. It is easiest with automatic transmissions. You put the car in reverse, hit the gas and get going at a decent rate of speed and then quickly throw the car into drive and really lay on the gas. Yes this is not real good for the transmission of the vehicle but it is fun to do. Recent technology in the automotive industry has made this more difficult to do, so now it requires an intermediate step of putting the car into neutral for a second or two before going to drive. I didn't measure but I would estimate this one at around 100 feet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am now remembering one of the reasons I stopped reading your blog--scary stories that show your deliquent side. The other reason I stopped reading? My mission was complete--I had no reason to read it any longer b/c my set up of you and TGB was complete. I just found out that things didn't work out though. Too bad. I think she is smart & wonderful (not to mention the fact that she has a nice tail)but I guess she is not your type. I am impressed that you never inquired into who set her up with you. She said you never asked. Impressive. Shows you are up for anything. How can I set up someone I don't know with a friend? I have a soft spot in my heart for singles from WI I guess, and I am a blogger as well. I must support fellow normal bloggers on blogspot.com. Perhaps I was trusting b/c of the fact you are from WI, and I think you can learn a lot from a person on their blog--good and bad qualities--you openly demonstrate both. At least,you seemed to have potential. Anyway...Hope you like MN. If I ever run into you I will introduce myself. Probably won't happen but you never know. Over and Out. Anonymous

Rickie Davies said...

For the record, those rental car stories took place around 1999. I haven't gone faster than 80 miles per hour in car in over 2 years.

Anonymous said...

I'm telling TT on you.

-Bubs

Anonymous said...

nice non-response.

Rickie Davies said...

What were you looking for?

Anonymous said...

Wow- Nice judgement Anonymous! I guess as a "fellow blogger" maybe you should put your address down so we can all read about you and decide what kind of person you are.