Friday, January 05, 2007

We Are Marshall

Absolutely a great movie. A tough movie to watch but still a great movie. A tear jerker right up to the last scene. Not so much a movie about football, as it is a movie about overcoming adversity, summoning the power to deal with tragedy and the strength required to begin the healing process. On top of all of that, a fantastic sound track. Name me another movie with both Gordon Lightfoot and Black Sabbath in it. Matthew McConaughey's best character since playing Wooderson in "Dazed and Confused". He plays coach Jack Lengyel with a quirky and exuberant style that works. Although I wasn't too keen on the way he talked out of the side of his mouth the entire movie. Matthew Fox and David Strathairn give powerful and sincere performances. We Are Marshall is easily #1 on my best football movies of all time, moving way ahead of "Rudy" and the original "Longest Yard" (I didn't even bother watching the remake). I hope most of the events that are depicked are true, if so a great story throughout. Without saying I give this movie a 10. I know, hard to believe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this movie yet, but Remember the Titans was pretty good too. Mobile, Agile, Hostile!!

We appreciate the review Rickie.

Roman

Rickie Davies said...

Good call Doggie. I think I put Remember the Titans ahead of Rudy as well. But We Are Marshall is still #1.

Anonymous said...

I have to ask, did you cry?

Rickie Davies said...

Didn't cry, but got misty. I have no shame in admitting it. And if you don't do the same, I would have to call you an emotional rock. If that makes me less of a man, fine, so be it. Show me where I can buy a dress.