Thursday, May 31, 2007

Another Day at the Office

Well it is Thursday. I am just really excited about the Freeman Party that is coming up on Saturday. I just checked the weather for the weekend, their prediction is scattered thunderstorms possible. Highs in the upper 70's with a 40% chance of rain. As I have been telling a number of people, if it is going to rain, this is the year. The house is empty. Should be plenty of room. I will say this, if it does rain you are going to see one crazy game of speed quarters.


I was doing some thinking yesterday. I was trying to decide on what is my favorite day of the year. This is a real toss up. Here are the candidates.

The Freeman Party, obviously one of my favorites, it brings together all of my family and friends. I am pretty much the center of attention, and I haven't heard too many complaints about the party in the past. Musical chairs is always the highlight for me.

The Dave Matthews Concert, one of my favorite bands. Tailgating at Alpine Valley. Sneaking up into the 3rd row. Watching people fall down the hill after the show. Just a great day.

The Fourth of July, always a party out at my aunt and uncle's on Lake Waterville. The party starts around noon and goes until midnight when we play Ina Gadda Da Vida. I am again in charge of fireworks. I would like to see the midnight swim out to the raft come back. That hasn't happened in a couple of years.

Summerfest, I almost always have one good day down at Summerfest. I normally run into at least one person from high school down there, and their reaction after talking to me for 5 minutes is, "You haven't changed at all".

How about Thanksgiving Eve? Over the last couple of years, it has been gaining popularity, and from what I have been hearing it is fast becoming one of the biggest party nights of the year. I am normally out with my brother and the Dillabers.

Opening Day, even though I am missed it the last couple of years, I am hoping to make a triumphant return next year.

Mexico, I have been assured that this is now an annual trip that I am included on. And while it is a week long. Each day of laying out and swimming up to the swim up bar, then later dressing up and going out for dinner, has to rank pretty high on my list of favorite days.

The first day of skiing on my first trip to Colorado has to be up there. Normally I don't have anything to drink the night before. If I can get Russ moving early enough we make the first lift on that Friday morning. You get an inch or two of fresh powder and a sunny day, strap on the MP3 player and ski the day away. There isn't much better than a nice long cruiser run, making good turns, the sun is shining, music blaring in your ear, then you stop half way down to catch your breath and take in the great scenery. Makes me want to jump on a plane and get out there right now.

Halloween, every year I throw on the gorilla suit and pull the wagon as my nieces and nephews go trick or treating. A night I always look forward to.


Those are a lot of good days. And let me know if you think I missed one. I wouldn't be surprised if I did. In the end I think I will say that Saturday, the Freeman Party is my favorite day of the year. So Saturday don't do anything that will screw up my favorite day of the year.



Because these postings are always a bit more exciting with a picture, here are some pictures that I took this morning on the job site. Who says I never work? Here I am on the north abutment of my bridge. The steel beams that you see will soon have 8 inches of concrete poured over them and will serve as the roadway approach to the bridge.
Here I am in the pit of the north abutment standing on the machinery platform. You can see one of the roadway approach beams over my head. And you can also see to my right is where the shaft for the trunnion that raised and lowers the bridge goes. The motors that drive the bridge after begin reconditioned will be placed approximately where I am standing. The counterweight which hasn't been painted yet is behind me. Over that railing behind me is about a 15 foot drop into the counterweight pit. Yes I am sure this is all very exciting for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are looking forward to a great time on Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Amazing site! Please continue the useful entries.