Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Ultimate Sheephead Table

My favorite card game is Sheepshead. The best flavor of the game is with 5 individuals. This past weekend as Preston and I were attempting to get a game together we were discussing what would be the "Ultimate Table". The main factor in getting a good table together is not just about a person's playing ability but more their conversation skills. Although if they are a moron when it comes to playing the game that does take away from their inclusion from my "Ultimate Table". That being said, Preston, sadly you are off the table. The first three to be invited to my "Ultimate Table" are easy fastballs.

My number 1 pick to the table is TT. TT is the self proclaimed "W.G.S.P.", which stands for "Worlds Greatest Sheepshead Player". I have witnessed TT drink an entire 30 pack of Miller Geniune Draft Light in a single afternoon of card playing, and as amazing as it might sound, it didn't seem to effect him at all. TT is also a top pick on the "Ulitmate Table" because if in his mind someone else has made a misplay or a mistake, TT will not only tell you, but yell at you. Just because TT is top pick doesn't mean that I would want to play with him every day. TT in severe moderation is a great thing.

My number 2 pick is Justus. As mentioned previously, Justus is highly entertaining. He is the best friend I wish I never had. Plus he often will make the mistake that will make TT fly off the handle.

My number 3 pick is Roman. This may seem like a bit of an odd choice since Roman isn't anything like TT or Justus. In fact Roman is the total opposite in that Roman is fairly quiet and always considerate. But when you get those three on the table and conversations travel away from card playing, TT and Justus can usually make Roman blush, laugh and get embarrased, especially when the conversations turn to that of the topic of sex. It is truely entertainment on the highest level. Plus Roman is the only decorated Sheepshead player among my friends, as he did win a round at the Germanfest Sheepshead Tournament, something that not even TT can claim.

My number 4 pick is going to be The General. If you can get The General off on a tangent talking about his army stories, you have no choice but to laugh. My favorite of all is his version of how he had to do over 1000 push-ups because of letters that I sent him. The General also thinks he is a better player than he actually is, which will at times lead to a mistake that TT will no doubt catch.

My number 5 pick comes from out of state and that is Tree. Tree gets on the table for two main reasons, sheer volume and immature attitude while playing (Tug Boat). At times you get Justus and Tree talking, and you would swear you were listening to two 7 years olds.

For the record my last two picks were difficult to make and could have easily gone another way. I would like to say that honorable mention will go out to Preston, Joe and Stu. I would also like to note that as far as the "Ultimate Table" goes I probably won't even put myself in the top 7 or 8. Which is saying something since I do have such a high opinion of myself.

I know that Joe, Preston, Tree and The General are all regular readers, so I would appreciate input as to who would be in their "Ultimate Table".

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you hit it on the head. I love the Justus, TT, Roman combo. Fun to see what shade of red Roman's face turns to. If I'm playing, I'd put you in too Rickie.
Aw F*ck It. Crack, crack, cra crack crack crack.

Joe

Rickie Davies said...

Hey, Thanks for putting me in buddy. But according to my records, I don't even know if you know how to play anymore. It has been a long time since you have sat down at the table.

Anonymous said...

Buddy,

I don't mind not being a member at the ultimate table as long as I can be a fly on the wall. The ultimate table is about chemistry, and I mean that literally: alcohol mixed with testosterone and adrenalin, with a sprinkle of dopamine. Misplays are also part of the fun at the ultimate table. Without that, how else would TT and doggie chime in or give the look of disgust? Money and Booze just add fuel to the fire. Although, you may need a sixth man: a Rzepiejewski there for his socio-economic commentary.

-Bubs

Anonymous said...

My table would be:

Jenna Jamison
Monica Lewinski
Christina Aguliara
Beyonce
Tree


Seriously...that's who I would pick.

Tree

Rickie Davies said...

Tree,

Can you do me a favor and make sure you run that list by Heather before you actually sit down at the table? You would have to play that game at my house, because Heather wouldn't let you back inside of yours.

Anonymous said...

I liked this topice Rickie. I guess my five would be (in no order): TT, Bubs, Rickie, my Uncle Mark, and myself. All of the Creeps get an honorable mention and it is hard to pick out just one or two.

Roman