Monday, October 01, 2007

Mike Kicking Ass

This past weekend went according to plan. Friday night, I stayed at my condo and took it easy. I worked out for a while watching college football. Then relaxed on the couch flipping between the Brewer Game and the college football game. Saturday morning, I loaded up the Toyota and headed for LaCrosse. I got to LaCrosse by 1:30 for Mike's 4:00 football game. The weather was pretty crappy. After sitting in my truck for 20 minutes after gettting to the parking lot, the rain stopped and I pulled down the tailgate and cracked open a beer. A couple of minutes later, Mike who was out walking around before the game spotted me and came over. I was talking to Mike for 10 minutes or so, when the fuzz comes walking up to me. Here is the conversation I had with the Campus Police officer:
Cop: "What do you think you are doing?"
Me: "I think I am tailgating and having a beer, what do you think you are doing?"
Cop: "You can't have a beer here?"
Me: "Why not?" Mind you this is the same weekend as Octoberfest in LaCrosse.
Cop: "This is State Property, you are not allowed to drink alcohol on state property. Do you want a drinking ticket now or later."
Me: "I will take the ticket later."
Cop: "Dump it out."
I start dumping out the beer and as I did so, I noticed that some of the beer was splashing on the cop's feet because he was standing so close. And I stopped.
Cop: "I said pour it all out."
Me: "Relax, I didn't want to get beer on your shoes."
Cop: "It wouldn't be the first time I had beer on my shoes."
Me: "OK."
So I poured out the rest of my beer.

Once the Sherman's showed up, I grabbed a cup and drank out of cup rather than a can. On to the game. LaCrosse and Whitewater have been the two top teams in the conference the last couple of years. LaCrosse was in control of the game up until the fourth quarter. They were up 28-10. Like most in the visitor's bleachers, I thought the outcome of this game was all but decided. However, Whitewater made the greatest football comeback I have ever seen in person, and possible one of the best comebacks I have ever seen anywhere. Scoring 25 points in the 4th quarter. It was pretty amazing. Mike backed up his word. I only saw the man he was blocking get by him once. And on running plays once Mike cleared the way past the defensive line, he always drove the linebackers back a good 4 or 5 yards. Unfortunately the bleachers at LaCrosse were pretty bad and I had a rather poor view of the field, so I didn't get as many good pictures as I had hoped. After the game I went with my brother, Dan, sister-in-law, Jody, and their friends to Octoberfest. We were a mellow group, but it was still fun. The next day we stayed with their friends and watched the Packer game. I was a little disappointed that Borky wouldn't return my calls while the Pack was taking care of the Vikings, but that is what I expected out of Borky. Such a sore loser. Yes Borky, I know, but the Brewers haven't won a World Series. Keep hanging your hat on that one. Anyhow here is Mike Kicking Ass.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I am going to have to see pictures of Mike everytime I log onto your blog, can you give me Mike's jersey number.

Tree.

p.s. you are about ready to lose a reader if this keeps up.

Anonymous said...

It's #73 ... not that I'm so smart I looked it up on the poll.
It doesn't matter because I can't see the numbers anyway. We just have to know that Mike is doing his job somewhere in the pack.

Annie