Thursday, March 02, 2006

More work with the DOT

I would like to say that I am making this stuff up by I'm not.
June 21, 2005

Today I was cross sectioning on East Lang Road. I had Sue out there helping me. We measured the off sets and then we shot the elevations at each off set. As we were shooting the elevations with the level and rod, I had to repeatedly tell Sue to hold the rod vertical. She would hang on to the rod with one hand leaning to the side. She had told me earlier on in the project that she had done some surveying. After we had most of the shots done I had to have one of the operators move a pile of dirt and I walked up to Sue and told her that we had to re-shoot those shots. I also told her at this time to stand behind the rod and hold it between her hands rather than standing to one side of the rod and holding it with one hand, and having that hand wrapped around the rod so you can’t read the numbers. I go back to the level and had Sue go to the two or three spots that had to be re-shot. This is not more than 1 minute after I showed her how to correctly hold the rod, she goes back to holding the rod the same way that she had been holding it. It was like she wasn’t even listening to me.
Then later in the day, I imported Nura’s Diary in my computer from the day before. She did a great job documenting the contractor, equipment, number of workers, and the work done. The only problem with it all is that she mentioned that the contractor trimmed the subgrade in the westbound lanes. This seemed like an incredibly difficult task to do, since the westbound lanes are already paved. I asked her to look at her diary entry and tell me if she saw anything wrong with it. She looked it over and she seemed to agree with everything that she wrote and thought that it was correct. That is when I asked her “Wouldn’t it be a little difficult to trim the lane when it is already paved? I think you meant east bound.” Might want to start paying attention to details. She has been on the job for over a month and doesn't know which direction is which.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Mr. Davies!!
I feel for you, them damn DOT people don't know squat.. Sounds like tax dollars well spent. You need a real techy out there.. Are you hiring?

Hilt

Rickie Davies said...

Hilt, I would take one of you over four of them. I will keep you in mind if I ever get another project in your area.