Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Picture of the Day

I don't have a date on this picture. I think it was 1999 or 2000. This was in the parking lot at the Dave Matthews Concert in Dallas at the State Fair Grounds. I flew down and stayed with and then went to the concert with my good communist friend, Dave "The General" Stegall. At that time Dave lived in Killeen, Texas, which is about 2.5 - 3 hours south of Dallas. On the way to the State Fair Grounds, I asked Dave if he knew where we were going, his reply, "Don't worry about it, I know exactly where we are going. You can eat those directions." 20 minutes later we were at the airport, on the opposite side of the city of Dallas from where we were suppose to be. Anyhow this picture was taken in the parking lot. Security was walking by as Dave and I were tailgating, i.e. throwing around a football and drinking Long Island Ice Teas, and I couldn't resist getting a picture with them. Dave had his safety vest in the trunk of his car that he wore when he went running at night. So I grabbed that and security and got this picture. That one guy sure was short. On a side note, after the show the plan was to drive back to Killeen. We decided that Dave would take the first shift and drive to Waco and I would then drive the rest of the way. Since Dave had already proven his mastery with directions, I helped navigate him out of the city of Dallas and on to the correct interstate headed for Waco, then I fell asleep. I woke up at 4 in the morning to see that we were parked on a on ramp to the interstate. I woke up Dave and asked him what happened. He said that he drove to Waco but didn't want to wake me up. I thought, "Wow that Dave is a great guy, he let me sleep a little longer." We switched seats and then I started driving. I wasn't on the road for a mile or two when I saw the first mileage sign "Waco 105 miles". Apparently, the night before, as soon as I feel asleep, Dave pulled over at the next exit. I ended up driving the whole way back to Killeen. Thanks again Dave.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol that is a great story..very typical of chicken

Anonymous said...

When Captain Stegall was at Fort Hood, he forgot where he parked his Tank! It took him 45 minutes to find it. This is a true story from his Tank crew. PS. He was a good Tank Commander tho' and would trust him in any combat situations...if he could find the battle, that is.