Tuesday, March 14, 2006

P.E. Exam

It has been a while since I have complained about my studying for my P.E. Exam so I thought I would take care of that tonight. Even though I really have no right to complain since my study habits have been none existant as of late. I guess trips to Colorado and Vegas don't help much either. I had one of my refresher class tonight. Tonight's topic was Steel Design. I didn't even take a single Steel Design class in college, how am I suppose to learn all about the topic in one night. Well I didn't. At one point in the class, someone asked the instructor about where a certain quantity for one of the variables came from. It was the Modulus of Elasticity of Steel. The instructor answered the question in a surprised manner stating "It is rather well known that the Modulus of Elasticity of Steel, E = 29,000 ksi." Oh really I didn't know that. Being that I was lost, I thought I would throw out a couple more terms and topics that I should be well familiar with by the time the exam rolls around in 5 weeks. The operative word there is "should".

Hydrostatic Pressure
Bernoulii Equation
Reynolds Number
Cavitation
Hydraulic Jump
Darcy's Law
Stoichiometric Reactions
Unconfined Compressive Strength Test
Varignon's Theorem
Transverse Truss Member Loads
Centroid of an Area
Radius of Gyration
Moment of Inertia of an Area
Mohr's Circle
Poisson's Ratio
Hooke's Law
Three Moment Equation
Parallel Axis Theorem
Newton's First, Second and Third Laws of Motion
Ohm's Law
Cash Flow Diagrams
Depreciation Methods

I am hoping that you don't look at this list and say, "I know all of that stuff." Those are just from a quick glance at the book. And those cover the topcis of Hydraulics, Structures, Ecomonic, Physics, Chemistry, Materials, etc. As surprising as you may find this, everything on that list does ring a bell and even more surprisingly I did at one time or another know all of that stuff. The problem is that that bell hasn't been rung in nearly 10 years. So I should stop typing and get to studying. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We all know you can do this. We are in your corner.