Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Daylight Savings

I have a bit of a confession for all of you. I am 32 and I know that this wasn’t the first time that this has happened to me. But yesterday I was late to work. Saturday night / Sunday morning we set our clocks ahead an hour. Well everyone except for certain parts of Arizona and Hawaii. When I went around the house setting all of the clocks, I forgot the one in my bedroom. My bathroom has a stereo in it, and I set that as one of my alarm clocks. It goes off at 7 in the morning. On normal days my alarm in my room goes off at the same time, but then I reset it to go off at 7:30 and I sort of snooze with the radio still on in the bathroom. Yesterday I was still sort of snoozing when I hear them on the radio say “Good morning, 8:13 Bob and Brian in the morning and today is Opening Day.” We have all been late to work before. You know that feeling, you swear and pop out of bed, all the while you begin sweating. You run around like an idiot thinking the faster you do things, somehow that will cause time to go backwards and you won’t be late. Then after 5 minutes of this, you just accept that you will be late and prepare yourself to deal with the consequences. One of the good things about my new job, other than not working with two absolute morons, is that the office is really close to my office. So I was in my cube by 8:30. I didn’t say I looked good, but I was there. When I was in college, I had a weekend construction job during the spring and fall. It was a biannual occurrence that I would over sleep on Daylight Savings Time. And in an example of laziness, also in my formative college years, I went an entire winter without setting the clock in my car to the correct time, it was always 1 hour ahead. It started out that I kept forgetting to set it, or didn’t have a pencil I the car, but then after a month, it became a challenge to leave it until the spring. Surely there are better uses for my talents and energy, but I have yet to come across any. Finally a poll where I only expect to have two people vote.

Fort Wayne, Columbia, Have you ever been late to work?
Yes.
No.
I don't work.
I don't vote.
Free polls from Pollhost.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When Tony lived in Indy they didn't change to daylight savings time. So part of the year he was one hour different then us and other times he was the same.