Friday, April 07, 2006

What Not To Say To Your Boss

The transportation department at my new job is kind of small. There is 1 head of the department, 2 project managers, 4 project engineers of which I am one, and 1 college intern. Just this afternoon I had a discussion in the hallway with another engineer and the head of the department. This other engineer was signed up to take an Aggregate Sampling training course at the University of Platteville. Since he isn’t going to be out in construction this year, it seemed like a waste for him to go and the class is already paid for, so they asked me if I was interested. Here is the conversation which took place in the hallway so everyone in the department heard it.
Ralph: “So would you have any problems with going to this training?”
Me: “I don’t particularly care for Platteville, but I will go.”
Ralph: “What is wrong with Platteville?”
Me: “Have you ever been there?”
After this comment I began to hear the other engineers laughing from behind their cubicle walls.
Ralph: “What company do you work for?”
Me: “Why? You went there?”
Ralph: “Yes, I went there.”
Me: “Well I commend you on making it out alive, because there is nothing to do there.”

I guess the moral of the story is, do a little research on your boss before you go slamming is alma mater.

No comments: