Monday, November 13, 2006

Picking up the Tab

This story happened around 1993, I think. Jon and Julie, you should be able to tell me the year. Anyhow, it was a couple of weeks before their wedding and all of the guys who were in the wedding were getting fitted for tuxes. The idea was to get fitted and then grab something to eat and then go to a bar or two. I was underage at the time and in college living on ramen noodles. And I was broke just like every other college student. I had saved up a little bit of money for this weekend, and I might have had $60 or $70 on me. After we got fitted for the tuxes we went to Holligans at Brookfield Square. I think there was 10 of us. We sat down to get something to eat. I ordered a small appetizer and everyone else was ordering big meals. Again I didn't have much money. As we are finishing up the meal, Steve Nevermann, who was the best man of the wedding pulls me aside and says "Come with me up to the bar to take care of the bill." I remember I was thinking "WHAT???" It was a nice gesture and I knew my brother shouldn't be buying his own meal since he was the one getting married, but I didn't want to pay for everyone else. I went with Steve and as we were walking to find our waitress, I was doing a bunch of quick math in my head. 10 guys at about $15 a person, that is $150 plus tip. All I have is $70, so I give Steve all of my money to pay for half and I am stuck the rest of the night without a dime to my name. As it turned out, Steve just put it all on his credit card and just wanted me to go up there with him so he had someone to talk to while he was waiting on the waitress. But he had me pretty scared at the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve is a great guy. He should have been the best man.

Rickie Davies said...

Julie quit sucking up. Was it 1993?