Friday, March 05, 2010

Crown Molding

I am nearing completion on the latest home improvement project. I remodeled my two spare bedrooms, the hallway (if you can call it a hallway), the living room and the front entry. All got new windows (except the hallway and front entry, they have no windows), a new coat of paint (in some cases 3 or 4 coats of paint), new baseboards, casing around the windows and crown molding. I had some issues with the crown molding. In fact I will be brutally honest with you, I suck at it. I ended up having my brother Jeff, help me with the spare bedrooms, and they turned out looking great. I told Jeff, that I would be able to handle the hallway and front entry. Wrong. They didn't come out right. I decided to use these cheater blocks that I saw at Menards. Which you put on the inside corners. But I didn't buy them at Menards, I told myself I could make them on my own. But I did take pictures at Menards so I would have some idea what I am doing.I made them out of all of extra pieces of crown molding that I had screwed up with. And I had plenty of extra pieces. I wanted to know which way you thought looked better. The correct way, shown here without the corner blocks. Or the cheater way, shown here with the corner blocks.I would have posted close ups, but I didn't want you to see the gaps.
Which Corwn Molding looks better?
With the Corner Blocks
Without the Corner Blocks
They both look bad, you should have hired someone to do the work.
Free polls from Pollhost.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Corner blocks or not, it looks nice Rick.
Tree