Thursday, March 18, 2010

Gaelic Storm

Last night I went to see Gaelic Storm at the Pabst Theater. I went with Nate. I haven't been out for drinks with Nate in a long time. And yes I was having drinks. I think the no drinking New Years Resolution is officially over. But it was a good run while it lasted. As we were driving down to the Pabst Theater I told Nate that I hadn't been to the Pabst Theater since I was in the 3rd grade. I don't remember the name of the play, but it had a frog in it. Oddly enough Nate went into a much longer story about his last trip to the Pabst Theater in 4th grade. I used roll my eyes when Nate went into a story, only because I lived with him and I had heard them all. But now that Nate has matured and become a father, I don't see him all that much. Now these stories are gold. So in the 4th grade Nate missed his school, Williams Bay's, school bus and he had to ride with the Lake Geneva Grade School's bus. As Nate recalls the story, one of the girls on that bus really liked him. But he had broken glasses and they had tape all over them.
On to the concert. My buddy, Russ, sent me a text a couple months ago informing me that I should see the band,Gaelic Storm, if they ever came to town. They are an Irish band, but not U2. I liked them alot. I highly recommend seeing them. In fact, they will be back in town for Irish Fest, and I think I will take in the festival that night.
Nate and I showed up a little late. The concert was general admission so by the time we got a couple drinks and made our way into the lower level, it was full. So we climbed a flight of stairs to the second level, also full. We then climbed a good 4 or 5 flights of stairs to the top level. You will be able to see from the video clip that we were pretty high up there. After the second or third song it was time for another beer. Neither of us were looking forward to the stairs, but as luck would have it, may the luck of the irish, they had a bar on the third level. All was right with the world. After the intermission we found our way down to the second level for the second half of the concert. I guess you will get a better idea of the band if you just go to the video clips.
Here are some quick pictures. The huge chandelier in the middle of the ceiling. Nate and I marvelled at ornate molding all around the theater. It really is a beautiful theater. If you haven't been there since the third grade I recommend going back.Nate coming up to the second level after a trip to the little wrangler's room.

Yes, he is playing a bagpipe. But you don't see him squeezing the bag. Could that be an electric bag pipe?

Here are some dancers. But I thought this type of dancing was German. Can any one clear this one up for me?

Here is the drum solo I guess. But he wasn't playing the drums, just a wooden box. And the band really didn't have drums, just bangos. "My own conga, my very own conga."


Nate and I finished the night off at "Brewski's" which used to be "My Place" which is 2 blocks from my house. It was as busy as I have ever seen that bar in the 12 years I have lived in the area. Not only was it pretty full, but it was a young crowd. That might just be because it was St. Patty's Day. We got in 18 holes of Golden Tee. And I think I finally got home at 1 in the morning..on a school night.

No comments: