Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Kids Sleepover

Once a year, I offer up my home to house my nieces and nephews. This year 8 of the 10 made the trip. We started off with a stop at the Majestic to see "Alice in Wonderland" in 3D. Yes, I am hooked on 3D movies. Only 4 of the kids could make it to the movie, which was probably a good thing because it was $63. I had food ready for them when they got to my house, cookies and candy. The corner stone of any nutritious diet.Erin and I played a game of lifesize Jenga in the garage.Later we got in some arm wrestling matches.Lindsey was the undisputed champion. She even beat her brother.Here is Ethan making a strong attempt, but look at Lindsey, she isn't even struggling.After feeding them pizza for dinner. They all got ice cream sundaes.I made an error in judgement allowing the kids to set up the race track. All they really managed to do was put together a track that didn't connect at the end and in the process broke a number of sections of track. To the rescue I came to make a track that actually worked.8 kids in my house leaves me in a constant state of motion. It was an endless cycle of getting them food, cleaning up dishes, fixing the video game, settling sharing disputes, figuring out who is going to sleep where, etc. I had Erin sleep in one of the closets. The first time there was an argument about sharing the race track, I made them line up in front of me and we worked out. They could either figure out a solution or I could put the racetrack away. Actually all of the kids are well behaved, at least around me. Maybe because I am not afraid to yell at them. You should have heard how quite the house got when an unnamed child threw a toy at my TV. It was the only time the house was quiet. I give credit to their parents for raising such good kids.
But those kids have more energy than me. By 10:45 I was ready to sleep. I left the four boys were in the living room playing video games and the four girls in the Lincoln Bedroom watching a movie. I was disturbed from my dead sleep at 1:30 in the morning by the laughter of kids playing video games. That is when I told them to turn off the TVs and go to bed. Of course they all were up much earlier than me. I finally crawled out of bed at 8 in the morning.
Here are the kids I had: Lindsey Rose, a.k.a. BoomerAbbigail Diane, a.k.a. Little Princess
Jody, you let your daughter watch "The Hangover"? That is what I was told. Really?Ethan August, a.k.a. Auggie or "E"Joshua William, a.k.a. JWErin Emma, a.k.a. Fuss
Erin was constantly helping. Anything that I was cooking she wanted to help out with.Sarah Elizabeth, a.k.a. SarahahaJared James, a.k.a. Crusher.Zackary Richard, a.k.a. "Z"Here I am with all of these rug rats.Sunday's activities included an hour an a half of making breakfast for 8 kids who did not want to eat all the same thing. Cereal, waffles, eggs and smoothies. I then took them all bowling. Here is Joey who came to go bowling.I finished up with the kids by going to McDonalds. I had a lot of fun with the kids. And I am sure they had a good time too. I just like to have all of the kids over so that when I hear someone complaining about the energy it takes to watch there kids, I can say "Try watching 8 at a time." Not a problem. But I am glad that it will be another year before they all come over again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And that's why I will always say.. Rick is the best uncle ever!!!

Annie

Anonymous said...

And that's why I will always say.. Rick is the best uncle ever!!!

Annie