Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Hurt Locker

As I had said, Friday night I went to see "The Hurt Locker". I had heard a little about it, but once it won the Oscar for Best Movie, I decided to make it a top priority. The movie is based in Baghdad, 2004. It follows the lives of a E.O.D. team. E.O.D. is Explosive Ordnance Disposal, i.e. bomb squad. The leader of this team is William James. His character is eerily similar to Martin Riggs (Lethal Weapon) or Captain Benjamin Willard (Apocalypse Now). A renegade veteran in combat who spits in the face of proper protocol, but still goes above and beyond the call of duty to get the job done. He does the right thing, the wrong way. This along with the hostile environment keeps the movie in an unpredictable direction. The dangerous lifestyle eventually becomes all that he knows and that which comforts him. A good movie, I give it a 7 out of 10. I think I went into it with higher expectations because of the accolades that it has received. To sum the movie up in two words: Slightly unsettling.

No comments: