Thursday, March 25, 2010

Jimi Hendrix

Sunday after depositing all of the kids back with their parents, I stopped by the Eggeners. It was Gordy's birthday. I am kicking myself for not getting a picture of the birthday boy. While the group was sitting in the living room we were talking about Lauren's foot attire, apparently someone who scored 25 of her ACTs is still unable not match her socks. For the record, I got 23 on my ACTs. The conversation quickly turned from Lauren's socks to her room and Nancy (Lauren's mom) mentioned that I should go look in her bedroom. As Nancy made that comment, Brian (Lauren's dad) walked through the room and made the matter of fact comment "Don't go in there, you will burn your eyes." Zing. Boom. It was a George Costanza hit the high note and leave them wanting more type of comment. If I had said that, I would have stood up, thanked the crowd and left. Maybe it was the way he said it, maybe you had to be there, but it was the funniest thing I heard all night.

Oh and here is something you don't hear everyday. While I was over with the Eggeners, we had something of a reverse intervention. I was told that I seemed to be more crabby and was less entertaining when I don't drink. You can start preparing to be entertained, because I broke my non-drinking New Years Resolution with Nate last Wednesday night. I am back to normal.

Alright, as I had mentioned in my weekend pre-view, I had entertained thoughts of scalping tickets to the NCAA tournament. Well that was quickly logistically impossible to make, so I set my sights on going to the Jimi Hendrix Experience at the Riverside Theater. On the internet it stated that the show would start promptly at 8:00. I got down to the Riverside at about 7:45. The marque stated that it was a sold out show. That should mean that it is a seller's market. Not the case. The scalpers all laughed at me when I said I wasn't paying face value when I first started talking to them. A Sunday night concert with majority of those in attendance males in their 40s or 50s. Most everyone there already had a ticket. This didn't leave too many of us out there looking for tickets. I ran into an old buddy, Josh, from college and I talked to him for a couple minutes. In that time, the crowd outside the theater all but vanished to the inside. It took little effort to talk the scalpers down from $60 (face value) for a ticket to $28.

Side note: Hey Borky, I ran into U2 Bob at the bar just before the concert started. He told me he was just telling story about the beefarino you burned to the top on his head while camping.

Well I finally got to my seats. I had about a minute to talk to the guys next to me before the show started. They told me that they had sold my ticket to that scalper for $25. A ticket for less than half the face value plus I got into my seats with beer in hand before the show even started. That is the sort of things that dreams are made of. The seat was to the left side on the second level 10 rows back. Actually great view of the stage as the pictures will show.

Here is a little background on the show. It is a Jimi Hendrix tribute show with the following performers: Joe Satriani, Jonny Lang, Eric Johnson, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Brad Whitford (of Aerosmith), Doyle Bramhall II, Ernie Isley, Living Colour, Double Trouble's Chris Layton, along with bassist Billy Cox, who played with Jimi Hendrix.

I took a lot more video just because the pictures weren't turning out so well. If you are a Hendrix Fan, you should enjoy the videos. Sadly the video pales in comparison to actually being there. Jimi had so many great guitar riffs. "Voodoo Child" is just crazy, watch the scene in "Almost Famous" when they switch from touring on the bus to on a plane.

This is Ernie Isley and Billy Cox.I dawned on me during the second song of the show, that I would be hearing pretty much the whole "Are You Experienced" Album. If you don't have it, I highly recommend it. It is up there on the list of must have albums (sounds like a new list). This is probably as close as you can get to seeing Jimi Hendrix alive. I am so glad I decided to go. Living Colour came out and pumped a bunch of energy into the crowd with Crosstown Traffic. I have been to a lot of concerts. Easily over 100. And I have seen a lot of things. And a lot of bands will have their lead singer come out into the crowd and towards the back of the theater/arena. Bono, Eddie Vedder, Rivers (from Weezer), I even saw Paul Stanley (Kiss) fly out to a stage in the crowd on a trapeze. But nothing like Corey Glover of Living Colour. He started on the stage. Climbed two sets of speakers, Then jumped into the box seats, then jumped up to the second level, walked right by me, shown here.If I had been on the isle I would have ran down and slapped him a high five. He then went up the top walkway of the Riverside, across to the other side, then proceeded to climb back down to the stage on the other side. He had no security with him. That was pretty cool. Here is some video:

I thought for a moment he was going to abort the mission when he went from the second level to the box seats.
I have heard a lot about Jonny Lang but I have never seen him. I am glad I finally got a chance to see him. Pretty amazing stuff.Here is some video of Jonny Lang, "Fire".

Here is more video, Eric Johnson, "Are You Experienced?"

So I go to the bathroom about half way through the show. I had to walk by the women's bathroom to get to the men's. No line there. I get to the men's bathroom and the line was out the door. I felt like I was like in one of those Enlarged Prostate commercials.

Jonny Lang "The Wind Cries Mary"

Noah Hunt and Kenny Wayne Shepard "Voodoo Child"

Joe Satriani "Third Stone From The Sun"


Living Colour and Satriani "Foxey Lady"
Here is a photo of all of the performers. I didn't get the kid's name, but he is the one in the picture with the white and blue guitar, he is only 14. Just like Steve Winwood.




It was a great show. The only thing I was slightly disappointed with was that they didn't play "Little Wing", other than that, no complaints.

And the Riverside is another great place to see a concert. Honestly it is beautiful inside. I am starting to think I would rather be in the first couple rows of the second level, than halfway back on the lower level.

I also came up with a new idea for my blog. I am sure by now or at least by reading this blog that I am big music fan. I am going to start posting daily lyrics from my favorite songs. But I am not going to tell you the song or artist. If you ask me, I will tell you. However, this is not a contest, no gyros will be awarded for correct answers. This idea came to me while listening to this song, here is your first of many lyrics.
"Outside in the cold distance,
A wild cat did growl.
Two riders were approaching,
And the wind began to howl"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watchtower.

That show sounds amazing buddy I hope it's coming to Mpls. Better look it up and yest Johnny Lang is phenomenal. He used to play bars here when he was 13 years old, the kid can play. I love the U2 Bob thing, it may have been a bit painful at the time, but those are always the best stories, I tell that one often, what a dumbass I was. We have 2000 megatons of fireworks going off all around us and Bob gets burned by my exploding Beefaroni™ can. My bad, I really enjoyed him playing the acoustic guitar on the banks of the Mighty Miss. :)

-borky

Bubs said...

Jimi does the best version of it. DMB's version is seriously lacking, as well as u2's.

Anonymous said...

the miss matched socks are the newest fad...fyi:)

Rickie Davies said...

Borky, I think you missed the show. They were in Minneapolis before Milwaukee.

Bubs, what about Dylan's version, you know the original?

Anonymous, Is a messing room the newest fad as well? I recall Kaker used to do the miss matched socks for soccer games. Then Krum copied Kaker. And that was back in the early 90's.

Bubs said...

Of course I know the original buddy. I don't have my diploma from the college of rock n roll knowledge for nothing! Jimi's cover is better than the original, the rest I've heard aren't nearly as good.